Posted to user@ant.apache.org by Diane Holt <ho...@yahoo.com> on 2000/10/11 02:55:29 UTC

Using editors in conjunction with ant's output

I know some people are using the emacs-output capability of jikes
(although, since I'm not an emacs person, I'm not entirely sure how
they're actually doing that, so if anyone wants to share an example, I'd
certainly be interested in seeing it)... but is anyone using ant in
conjunction with any other editors, say JBuilder, VCafe, or even 'vi' to
do all the on-error-go-to-source-file-at-that-line stuff? Is any of that
even doable? (And the logical follow-up question: How? :)

Thanks,
Diane

=====
(holtdl@yahoo.com)

http://mail.yahoo.com/

Re: Using editors in conjunction with ant's output

Posted by Rod McChesney <ro...@expressaction.com>.
> Find this error in: (default AccountServletData.java:21:45:21)

This can happen when the name of the file in the error message is not
fully qualified. So somehow the filename Ant is sending to Jikes does
not include a pathname. For instance, I stuck an error in a file just
now and compiled it. The output includes

Compiling 2 source files to /home/rodm/work/build/gfe/classes
/home/rodm/work/gfe/src/com/expressaction/test/TestRhino.java:11:1:11:1:
Syntax: Unexpected symbol ignored
/home/rodm/work/gfe/src/com/expressaction/util/TypeUtil.java:36:1:36:9:
Syntax: ";" inserted to complete FieldDeclaration

My build.xml is at the top of the tree, and to build it has

 <javac srcdir="${source}"
        destdir="${classes}"
        includes="**/*.java">

By any chance do you have build.xml files in lower-level directories?

Rod McChesney

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@bost.de>.

 RG> Already got that. When I hit return on a line in the compiler
 RG> error messages buffer, it prompts me to provide the filename,
 RG> assuming the filename from the error plus the first three numbers
 RG> :

This has been my problem as well. Does it work better when you *don't*
specify -emacs when invoking Ant (I don't)?

Stefan

Re: Using editors in conjunction with ant's output

Posted by Ross Golder <ro...@cpd.co.uk>.
Stefan Bodewig wrote:

>  RG> This is better, but the output now contains
>  RG> 'filename:number:number:number:number' rather than just the
>  RG> ordinary 'filename:number'. This still upsets my poor emacs.
>
> I've always been told that GNU Emacs would know how to handle them
> (and I was the only XEmacs user who had trouble).
>
> My solution that works for both GNU Emacs and XEmacs is to put the
> Lisp from
> <http://jakarta.apache.org/jyve-faq/Turbine/screen/DisplayQuestionAnswer/action/SetAll/project_id/2/faq_id/16/topic_id/194/question_id/735>
> in my .emacs.
>
> Stefan

Already got that. When I hit return on a line in the compiler error
messages buffer, it prompts me to provide the filename, assuming the
filename from the error plus the first three numbers :

Find this error in: (default AccountServletData.java:21:45:21)

--
Ross

I am professionally trained in computer science, which is to say
(in all seriousness) that I am extremely poorly educated.
		-- Joseph Weizenbaum, "Computer Power and Human Reason"

Re: Using editors in conjunction with ant's output

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@bost.de>.

Posted by Ross Golder <ro...@cpd.co.uk>.
Peter Donald wrote:

> hmmm - gnu emacs works with this and last version of XEmacs works with
> this. What version do you have ? Stefan placed a topic in FAQ about latest
> XEmacs - you may want to have a look at that. If not do you have one of
> those wierd emacs'es  ? or an old version ?

RedHat 7.0 stock - emacs version 20.7.

--
Ross

Re: Using editors in conjunction with ant's output

Posted by Peter Donald <pj...@cs.latrobe.edu.au>.
At 11:42  11/10/00 +0100, you wrote:
>Peter Donald wrote:
>>
>> At 05:55  10/10/00 -0700, you wrote:
>> >I know some people are using the emacs-output capability of jikes
>> >(although, since I'm not an emacs person, I'm not entirely sure how
>> >they're actually doing that, so if anyone wants to share an example, I'd
>> >certainly be interested in seeing it)... but is anyone using ant in
>> >conjunction with any other editors, say JBuilder, VCafe, or even 'vi' to
>> >do all the on-error-go-to-source-file-at-that-line stuff? Is any of that
>> >even doable? (And the logical follow-up question: How? :)
>>
>> Well I know it is possible in some versions of vi (probably vim). To do it
>> you need to specify -emacs on commandline and then place the below property
>> somewhere in build file.
>>
>> <property name="build.compiler.emacs" value="on"/>
>>

>This is better, but the output now contains
>'filename:number:number:number:number' rather than just the ordinary
>'filename:number'. This still upsets my poor emacs.
>
>I assume the four numbers represent start row, start column, end row,
>end column for a range that represents the error, for highlighting or
>whatever. If I'm right, does anyone know how to get Emacs to handle
>this??!

hmmm - gnu emacs works with this and last version of XEmacs works with
this. What version do you have ? Stefan placed a topic in FAQ about latest
XEmacs - you may want to have a look at that. If not do you have one of
those wierd emacs'es  ? or an old version ?

Cheers,

Pete

Re: Using editors in conjunction with ant's output

Posted by Ross Golder <ro...@cpd.co.uk>.

Posted by Peter Donald <pj...@cs.latrobe.edu.au>.

Posted by Conor MacNeill <co...@ebinteractive.com.au>.
Diane,

I use ultraedit. I run ant as a command in Ultraedit. The output window,
with the ant results is double-clickable and it even handles the [javac]
adornment. Works well for me.

Conor

--
Conor MacNeill