Posted to user@zookeeper.apache.org by "wayne.rasmuss" <wa...@perceptivesoftware.com> on 2013/08/26 23:02:17 UTC

Zoo Keep widely distributed?

I think zoo keeper looks very handy, but I would like to have a pretty good
idea if it can work well/at all across different LANs. I would expect to
have to establish a way for the members of the ensemble to talk to each
other, but having to open a bunch of ports to multiple hosts would be a show
stopper. Also, I'm wondering how the latency will effect overall
performance.

RE: Zoo Keep widely distributed?

Posted by FPJ <fp...@yahoo.com>.
I assume that when you say across LANs you mean different colos, although I
suppose what I'm about to say holds even if the assumption is incorrect. The
overall performance depends on your read:write ratio. Since reads are local
to a server, they don't cross the boundaries of a colo.  You could also
consider using observers to avoid the penalty of coordinating across colos
for writes to the zookeeper state.

Consider reading this blog post by Camille Fournier:

http://whilefalse.blogspot.co.uk/2012/12/building-global-highly-available.ht
ml

-Flavio

Posted by Martin Kou <bi...@gmail.com>.