Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by hardik7681 <ha...@cmss.in> on 2009/08/13 16:19:10 UTC

Vendor Management

Hi All,

I tried searching everywhere..but could not find an answer to my question...

Scenario :- I would like to associate a product to a particular vendor. So
when someone places an order places the order for that product, the order is
visible to that vendor only. Is there any link where orders are displayed
and processed vendor wise....meaning a vendor would see only order related
to him and not other orders.....???

I was just wondering whether its possible or not.....and if yes then can
someone please guide me through this...

Thanks,
Hardik

Re: Vendor Management

Posted by hardik7681 <ha...@cmss.in>.
Hi Sumit,

Thanks for the quick response.
Will do as you said.

Thanks once again.

Regards,
Hardik Patel

Re: Vendor Management

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.
Eric,

That is the reason why implementing a large scale business management
solution (as OFBiz is) takes so much effort and cost so much. Irrespect
whether you choose one of the major brands or an open source product.

Anybody who thinks that taking a software solution from the shelf
(downloading from a website comes to mind) delivers instant succes like a
Mars bar still an acute sense of hunger, is a fool of his own believers.

The approach that has the highest guarantee for success is (and has always
been) to incorporate the most knowledgeable persons around or otherwise
have enough time on your own hands to figure it all out by yourself.

Regards,

Pierre Smits

*ORRTIZ.COM <http://www.orrtiz.com>*
Services & Solutions for Cloud-
Based Manufacturing, Professional
Services and Retail & Trade
http://www.orrtiz.com

RE: Vendor Management

Posted by Er...@ec.europa.eu.
No Pierre, it is a good explanation which gives a broad comprehension of the possible business process which could be active there.
But I appreciate such explanations on the business level.
I had in the past and still now sometimes often problems understanding the business rules behind all functionalities in ofbiz.
I  am not sure if they are good explaned anywhere in the documentation (in the past !).
For someone like me, who supports my wife being busy with ecommerce, and we choosed in 2008 for ofbiz and took all ERP functionalities as a free gift with the ecommerce functionalities, we had to explore without any background on ERP software , what the different functionalities meant. Especially the different possible roles which are available for parties and party groups where unknown for us.
So all kind of ERP management functionalities, for example inventory management, was unknown for us. And without a good business explanation, it becomes more difficult to understand the technical functionalities behind it.

Regards,
Eric

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.
Thank you, Eric,

But in what sense? Do you feel that it is missing something? Something that
needs to be added to ensure that Ioannis (and others) are not led astray?

Regards,

Pierre Smits

*ORRTIZ.COM <http://www.orrtiz.com>*
Services & Solutions for Cloud-
Based Manufacturing, Professional
Services and Retail & Trade
http://www.orrtiz.com

On Mon, Mar 10, 2014 at 3:34 PM, <Er...@ec.europa.eu> wrote:

> Interesting explanation Pierre !
> Eric

RE: Vendor Management

Posted by Er...@ec.europa.eu.

Re: Vendor Management

Posted by giannisapi <gi...@gmail.com>.
Adrian Here tells the exact difference. He is 100% correct to my point of
view.

Re: Vendor Management

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@sandglass-software.com>.
A supplier is different than a vendor. A supplier sells you goods or
services. A vendor sells goods or services through your marketplace.

Adrian Crum
Sandglass Software
www.sandglass-software.com

Re: Vendor Management

Posted by Heidi Dehaes <in...@gmail.com>.
A VENDOR registration form is also needed.

Eric

Olagos bvba
Heidi Dehaes
Kerkstraat 34
2570 Duffel
Belgium
Tel. :     015/31 53 04
GSM :    0485/22 35 80
E-mail : info.olagos@gmail.com
http://www.olagos.eu
http://www.olagos.com
http://www.olagos.be
http://www.olagos.nl

Re: Vendor Management

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.
Eric,

To be correct: A drop-shipment supplier must be send a purchase order to
ensure that he is legally covered. Upon delivery to your customer he will
send the invoice to you.

All the rest of your posting has to with the aspect of legal ownership and
obligations.

Re: Vendor Management

Posted by Heidi Dehaes <in...@gmail.com>.
I think a SUPPLIER with drop shipment is sent a purchase invoice before
products can be delivered immediately to the customer.

A VENDOR has products on the ecommerce store from within a separate
category dedicated to the vendor. At first instance these products can be
added by the ecommerce shop owner.  But it needs a separate inventory
management for that specific category and this inventory information being
made available for the vendor also.

Are these products then being paid by the customer to the the ecommerce
owner.

How is the VENDOR then paid? With a commission invoice? Perhaps commission
invoices need to be generated automatically.

Who will do the shipment? Where is the inventory ? At the VENDOR 's
premises? Then the shipment should be done by the VENDOR. Will the shipment
management from ofbiz then have a dedicated part for the vendor also?

Some ideas to think about.

Regards,
Eric

Olagos bvba
Heidi Dehaes
Kerkstraat 34
2570 Duffel
Belgium
Tel. :     015/31 53 04
GSM :    0485/22 35 80
E-mail : info.olagos@gmail.com
http://www.olagos.eu
http://www.olagos.com
http://www.olagos.be
http://www.olagos.nl

> Yes, and drop shipment party is defined in Ofbiz as a "SUPPLIER" if I am
> right .
>
> So what is  the real difference with a VENDOR then.
>
> Eric

RE: Vendor Management

Posted by Er...@ec.europa.eu.

Re: Vendor Management

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.

Re: Vendor Management

Posted by giannisapi <gi...@gmail.com>.
Dear Adrian,

Could you explain to me a little further the already implemented sollution
of Shopping Mall in ofbiz? I am asking so I can catch up faster because I am
fairly new to ofbiz. Also if you have any internet links, books etc talking
about this on ofbiz please do point them out.

Re: Vendor Management

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@sandglass-software.com>.
OFBiz treats vendors in the same way. The business model you describe is
typically called "Marketplace" or "Shopping Mall" in the OFBiz community.

OFBiz supports the marketplace business model, but there is no vendor
portal like the one you describe. Building out a vendor portal should be
fairly easy be reusing existing artifacts.

Adrian Crum
Sandglass Software
www.sandglass-software.com

Re: Vendor Management

Posted by Heidi Dehaes <in...@gmail.com>.
Hi Ioannis,

I will use this address from now on.

Eric
www.olagos.eu

Olagos bvba
Heidi Dehaes
Kerkstraat 34
2570 Duffel
Belgium
Tel. :     015/31 53 04
GSM :    0485/22 35 80
E-mail : info.olagos@gmail.com
http://www.olagos.eu
http://www.olagos.com
http://www.olagos.be
http://www.olagos.nl

> Hi ,
>
> I have the same aim to add such functionality in my ecommerce store too.
>
> For this I am willing to devote time and effort also.
>
> I am very interested to participate in the development.
>
> I was 5 years project manager but since 6 months I am developing also in
> java (Spring) and because I started to implement ofbiz in 2008 already I
> learned already a lot of the software and the software architecture. So I
> have often ideas what existing functionalities exist in ofbiz and where to
> find the java code . Some parts I know better than other parts.
>
> But I think it is a good idea to work together.
>
> Eric

RE: Vendor Management

Posted by Er...@ec.europa.eu.

RE: Vendor Management

Posted by giannisapi <gi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Eric,

I am not in a particular rush or something. I am investigating this for a
business of mine. It is a functionality that I would much like to have in my
ecommerce store. For this I am willing to devote time and effort. Would you
be interested in this idea too?

RE: Vendor Management

Posted by Er...@ec.europa.eu.
Hello Gianni,

When do you like to start your analysis/development?

Eric

Re: Vendor Management

Re: Vendor Management

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.
Ioannis,

First of all, ensure that you have your (business) definitions straight and
that the parties you communicate with understand and share your definitions.

The noun Vendor can have (and probably will have) different meanings to
different persons depending on the domain the work in/come from. According
to investopedia it can be both a person or a business entity. And that (as
should be regarded as obvious) as wel an internal party as an external
entity.

>From your descriptions I gathered that it is a person executing a business
process, but whether he is part of your organisation or not I could not
determine.

If he is part of your organisation, he could be regarded as internal sales,
sales representative, sales back office clerk, or any other role you have
defined in your organisation. If he is external, is he then a sales
representative working on commission basis or a reseller (who buys and
sells for own risk and profit).

Determining (and communicating) such aspects up front enables your peers to
comprehend the challenge/opportunity to the fullest and helps them to help
you in finding the answer and/or solution.

Regards,

Pierre Smits

*ORRTIZ.COM <http://www.orrtiz.com>*
Services & Solutions for Cloud-
Based Manufacturing, Professional
Services and Retail & Trade
http://www.orrtiz.com

RE: Vendor Management

Posted by Er...@ec.europa.eu.
Ok I am since 2008 using Ofbiz and analysing the software but I have never been adding new software to the community although I should be able to do that if I had more time.

Eric
www.olagos.eu

Although I am very new to ofbiz, I would like to contribute for such
sollution.

RE: Vendor Management

Posted by giannisapi <gi...@gmail.com>.
thanks a lot eric.

Although I am very new to ofbiz, I would like to contribute for such
sollution.

RE: Vendor Management

Posted by Er...@ec.europa.eu.
Thanks Ioannis,

I will do a test this evening on the ecommerce platform, but I think this is at least not completely implemented in Ofbiz.
I will verify and let you now the next 24 hours.

Regards,
Eric

Posted by giannisapi <gi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Eric,

Re: Vendor Management

Posted by giannisapi <gi...@gmail.com>.
hi all,

did anyone had any success with this feature?

Re: Vendor Management

Posted by Sumit Pandit <su...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
Hi Hardik,

As per my knowledge concern, currently there is not such facility
available in OFBiz. To achieve your goal, you have to prepare screens
and permissions which allow user to access only those order which are
associate with him only. (Logged in user should be vendor)

--
Thanks And Regards
Sumit Pandit

Re: Vendor Management