Posted to dev@xalan.apache.org by "Carl W. Brown" <cb...@xnetinc.com> on 2000/08/28 18:36:40 UTC

ICU help

I am working on mod_xicu.   This is an ICU Apache module.  I developed a
prototype with ICU 1.4.  I am now working on the ICU 1.6 version.  This
version will be better integrated.  I will no longer need to support the
Apache I/O or and almost rewritten resource bundle manager that I had in
1.4.  I am working to integrate my ICU modifications into the ICU base in
ICU 1.7.

XICU in addition to taming ICU also provides an alternate API better suited
for servers and transaction processing.  The full ICU API is still
available.  XICU for ICU 1.6 is a single DSO/DLL containing XICU plus the
ICU code and data.

XICU also provides mine handling for selected types.  It allows users to
specify which types are to be XICU managed.  It selects locale by URL.  It
scans the URL for RFC 1766 language names and uses that name for ICU locale
setting.  It then uses the locale to set the charset and converters.  This
allows sites to order locale and language specific files by directory tree.

I think that XSLT is the only way to implement international sites.
Maintaining parallel copies of translated HTML web pages with there own
links is insane.  You need to develop XML content that is xlinked to
language text with locale dependent style sheets.

I am an independent consultant and would like to help.

Carl