Posted to dev@zookeeper.apache.org by Liang Han <ha...@cloudera.com> on 2017/03/17 15:45:27 UTC

3.5.3: alpha or beta?

Hi all,

I noticed that in JIRA the 3.5.3 is still tagged as Alpha [1]. Also this is
mentioned in last board meeting [2] that 3.5.3 will be last Alpha release,
as opposed to a new beta release.

I thought sometime back we agreed that 3.5.3 would be a beta release,
because we intended to lock the APIs for this release? 3.5.3-beta was
originally mentioned a couple years ago when 3.5 series releases was
planned [3] where the semantic of alpha and beta was also clarified, but I
can't find any traces on why 3.5.3 was named Alpha on JIRA.

Should we make 3.5.3 another alpha release, or a beta release?

[1]
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ZOOKEEPER/?selectedTab=com.atlassian.jira.jira-projects-plugin:versions-panel
[2] https://whimsy.apache.org/board/minutes/ZooKeeper.html
[3]
http://markmail.org/message/vnb5pvszgm4cty67#query:+page:1+mid:ymxliy2rrwjc2pmo+state:results

--
Cheers
Michael.

Re: 3.5.3: alpha or beta?

Posted by Michael Han <ha...@cloudera.com>.
Thanks Pat for the pointers. I haven't got as many replies as I expected
regarding this matter, but I had a private chat with Flavio and he is OK
with the idea. Just to provide more thoughts here before formalizing the
proposal:

Benefit of moving to beta:

* It's good to show steady progress after being in alpha state for a few
years.
* The previous blocking issue (ZOOKEEPER-2014) that prevents us locking
API, which is one of requirement of beta build (API lock), is fixed.
* Move to beta lays the foundation of heading towards a 3.5 stable release
as planned in the old thread a couple of years ago [3].

I don't see any big issue preventing us moving to beta, except quality wise
the current branch-3.5 still have open blocker issues (which got deferred
to 3.5.4) and flaky tests, which could be addressed in next beta release.

I'll start a vote thread shortly to formalize this.

--
Cheers
Michael.

Re: 3.5.3: alpha or beta?