Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Fabio Bazzani <si...@grisnet.it> on 2003/09/11 23:39:14 UTC

problem in session closing for explorer

After I authenticate I begin a session.
Closing the browser my session does not go down.
When I open a new browser my old session is still on.
What to do to terminate my session when I close my browser?

FB.

Re: problem in session closing for explorer

Posted by Petter Karlström <pe...@dsv.su.se>.
Bill Barker wrote:
> My first guess is that you are using MSIE, and have enabled "Active
> Desktop".  In this case, there is always a MSIE running, so MS (helpfully
> ;-) always preserves your cookies as long as you are logged on to your
> workstation.

I have seen this problem too, only with Mozilla. Seems Mozilla stored
session variables in cache. Haven't looked into this in a while, so the
problem may be resolved in later versions of Mozilla. The original
poster might try emptying cache, history etc before closing down Mozilla
and see if the session varible disappears.

The damage, of course, is already done. The easiest workaround would
probably be to time-limit your variables.

/Petter Karlström

Re: problem in session closing for explorer

Posted by Filip Hanik <ma...@filip.net>.
I've never seen this, and if that is a problem, it is the browser that
messed up.
This is what should happen.

1. You close your browser
2. You open a new browser, this browser should have discarded the session
cookie.
3. Tomcat will expire your session cookie when it has been invalid for a
certain amount of time

Filip