Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Dan North <da...@wirestation.co.uk> on 2000/04/19 16:34:29 UTC

Using Inprise / Orion

Hi there.  I've just stepped through the looking glass from Unix and Perl
into the world of XML/XSL and Java, and I've discovered Cocoon, which I
think is exactly what I'm looking for.  (I'm writing an XML-based content
management system - seems like a pretty good fit to me!)

Has anyone configured Cocoon to work with Inprise and/or Orion, and can they
give me any pointers?  I'm aware this is a busy list, so if anyone wants to
take this offline, feel free to mail me directly.  I'm in the middle of the
RTFM cycle now, but there seems to be an awful lot of M before I can even
start, so any help is gratefully received.  If this list is the wrong forum
for Cocoon newbie questions, feel free to point me in the appropriate
direction instead.  In the meantime, I'll just follow this white rabbit...

Thanks,
Dan

Re: Using Inprise / Orion

Posted by Yann <yl...@ims.ltd.uk>.
Hi Dan,

I use Inprise JBuilder Foundation 3.5 to write my business objects that are called from my XSP pages. I use Tomcat as a servlet engine. All I do is to add in my tomcat.bat a path to my compiled class files. I set a library withing JBuilder to point at the Tomcat servlet.jar file because I do some session work and therefore access to the some servlet classes. I don't actually use Cocoon jar files as yet but you can create Libraries within JBuilder to point at them anyway.

Then when I need to call my business objects from the XSP, I need to include my package name. For instance
    <xsp:structure>
        <xsp:include>ltd.ims.whateverpackage.*</xsp:include>
    </xsp:structure>

Et voila. That's a simple method to program stuff in Java and call it from your Cocoon XSP.

Please email me if you want more info.

Yann.