Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Karthikeyan Chidambaram Ramabhatla <ka...@rediffmail.com> on 2003/07/16 11:23:26 UTC

Regarding struts file upload

Dear Sir,

With reference to the file uploading example int following link
http://jakarta.apache.org/struts/faqs/actionForm.html

I have a question.

I have an almost similar example to run, using a String to
retrieve the file name instead of FormFile object.

However I am facing the following problem.

My form tag is like this.

type="xyz.UploadForm">

In my Action file's execute() method, I try to parse the uploaded
file using MultipartParser.

However the parser does not happen since the contentType is not
multipart/form-data.

If I change the tag to include the enctype as follows
type="xyz.UploadForm" enctype="multipart/form-data">
I get the following error

javax.servlet.ServletException: BeanUtils.populate
 	at
org.apache.struts.util.RequestUtils.populate(RequestUtils.java:954)
 	at
org.apache.struts.action.RequestProcessor.processPopulate(RequestProcessor.java:795)
 	at org.

followed by

root cause

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: argument type mismatch
 	at
 	at

Can I know what is the probable cause of this ?
Is adding the enctype tag in the form tag not the only requirement
?

If I dont use struts, I dont face such a problem and the file gets
uploaded.

Here are the relevant tags in my struts-config.xml

     <form-bean name="uploadForm"
      	type="xyz.UploadForm"/>

   <action-mappings>

 	<action path="/Upload"
 		type="xyz.UploadAction"
 		name="uploadForm"
 		scope = "request"
 		input="/Upload.jsp">
 		<forward name="success" path="/UploadSuccess.jsp"/>
 		<forward name="failure" path="/Error.jsp"/>
 	</action>

</action-mappings>

Regards,

C. Karthikeyan.