Posted to user@commons.apache.org by "Natu, Ashlesha [IT]" <as...@citigroup.com> on 2006/04/03 21:28:14 UTC

RE: [fileupload] File upload from Windows to Unix - need to remove carriage return

Hi again,

I am trying to upload a file (text or excel) from Windows to Unix. It gets uploaded fine but the file has carriage return charaters at the end of each line. How do I get rid of them? Due to this, my code is not able to read the file.

thanks & regards,
AN

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.
On 4/3/06, Natu, Ashlesha [IT] <as...@citigroup.com> wrote:

> Hi again,
>
> I am trying to upload a file (text or excel) from Windows to Unix. It gets
> uploaded fine but the file has carriage return charaters at the end of each
> line. How do I get rid of them? Due to this, my code is not able to read the
> file.

The file as uploaded by Commons FileUpload should be identical to the file
as it was on the original system that uploaded it. Commons FileUpload does
not manipulate the content in any way.

If you need to manipulate the content, you'll need to either use some other
package, or write some code to make the changes you need. However, you'll
need to be careful, since you'll need to be sure that a file is a text file
before trying to modify line ends, for example. Other formats, such as
Excel, will not be modified by FileUpload, and should not be modified by
your own code, either.

--
Martin Cooper

thanks & regards,