Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Gary Grobe <Ga...@aspentech.com> on 2000/04/17 22:44:13 UTC

log msgs and codebase values ...

sorry if this is duplicated, a few hours later and still havn't seen my
posts.

while tailing my tomcat.log, i see things such as:

</pre>
</l:ctx>
<l:ctx path="/lego" >Broken pipe /lego/Outline.class</l:ctx>
<l:ctx path="/lego" >Broken pipe /lego/justbuild.gif</l:ctx>

what exactly does this mean, these classes and images appear correctly on my
web page.

also ...

Thanks, but still havn't been able to get this working (and many variations
of it). My html file is in the /usr/local/tomcat/webapps/lego dir and all my
classes are held in the ~/webapps/lego/WEB-INF/classes dir. On loading, the
console basically always says, Config not found (Config being my applet
name).

<PARAM NAME="code" VALUE="lego.applets.config.Config">
// and by making this releative to my html dir ...
<PARAM NAME="codebase" VALUE="./WEB-INF/classes">

btw - it's in an <OBJECT> tag because i'm using swing components.

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <Cr...@eng.sun.com>.
Gary Grobe wrote:

> sorry if this is duplicated, a few hours later and still havn't seen my
> posts.
>
> while tailing my tomcat.log, i see things such as:
>
> </pre>
> </l:ctx>
> <l:ctx path="/lego" >Broken pipe /lego/Outline.class</l:ctx>
> <l:ctx path="/lego" >Broken pipe /lego/justbuild.gif</l:ctx>
>
> what exactly does this mean, these classes and images appear correctly on my
> web page.

It probably means your browser and Tomcat disagree how to tell when a request is
actually completed.  "Broken pipe" is the Unix message you get when trying to
write to a network socket that the other end has closed.  Are you by any chance
setting the content length incorrectly?

> also ...
>
> Thanks, but still havn't been able to get this working (and many variations
> of it). My html file is in the /usr/local/tomcat/webapps/lego dir and all my
> classes are held in the ~/webapps/lego/WEB-INF/classes dir. On loading, the
> console basically always says, Config not found (Config being my applet
> name).
>
> <PARAM NAME="code" VALUE="lego.applets.config.Config">
> // and by making this releative to my html dir ...
> <PARAM NAME="codebase" VALUE="./WEB-INF/classes">
>
> btw - it's in an <OBJECT> tag because i'm using swing components.

This is not going to work with Tomcat, or any other 2.2-compliant servlet
container.  The reason is that the container is prohibited from serving any
files under "WEB-INF" -- that is why WEB-INF is a good place for configuration
files and other stuff that is for the server, not the client.

You will need to put the classes (and/or JAR files) needed for applets somewhere
under the document root, in a subdirectory named anything *except* WEB-INF.

Craig McClanahan