Posted to dev@jclouds.apache.org by Adrian Cole <ad...@gmail.com> on 2014/10/25 06:19:50 UTC

First use of Google Auto

Hi, team.

The fantastic folks at Google Auto have a tool that can significantly
improve readability and maintainability of our value types. They also
have a tool that removes the need to manually maintain serviceloader
manifests. All of this magic has no runtime dependency! That means no
more s/MoreObjects/Objects!

The catch is that I've only tried on an XML provider, so we may still
need work to get gson going. Also, if you haven't setup your IDE for
annotation processing, you'll need to do that. Anyway, here's an
example to look at, where I ported Azure to use auto.

https://github.com/jclouds/jclouds-labs/pull/100

I hope we can make more progress like this such that high quality
providers are easier to write, and with less chance of classpath
conflicts!

Cheers,
-A

Re: First use of Google Auto

Posted by Adrian Cole <ad...@gmail.com>.
Auto is compile-time only. For example even the annotations are source
retention vs runtime. This means concerns are solely thrashing of overall
design or risk to the build.

Long way of saying go for it! Just make sure you inherit the version.

I want to write a value type but it takes at least 10m to even log into
moinmoin wiki.

-A

Re: First use of Google Auto

Posted by Inbar Stolberg <in...@gmail.com>.