Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "Michael T. Peterson" <mt...@comcast.net> on 2004/03/16 01:24:21 UTC

[users@httpd] [Q] Scheduling service(s) (ala cron)

Hi,

I'm designing an Apache-based WEB site, one requirement of which is to
update its database (MySQL) from a remote WEB site. I've written a prototype
[php-based] function that calls into the remote site and gets the data
whenever the page is selected.

However, what I would like to do is write a routine (preferably PHP-based or
Java-based) that will do this periodically, say once very 6 hours (the data
is dynamic and changes periodically).  Does Apache offer such services?  If
so, could someone point me to some documentation and/or examples describing
this functionality?

Thanks, in advance,

Michael

Re: [users@httpd] [Q] Scheduling service(s) (ala cron)

Posted by Henry <he...@ix.netcom.com>.
And even if you don't have the command line interface of PHP available, you can use wget or curl to query the php web page on the remote server.  Just put that into a cron job.

-Hank

Re: [users@httpd] [Q] Scheduling service(s) (ala cron)

Posted by Rasmus Lerdorf <ra...@apache.org>.
No, why not just use a cron job?