Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by sebb <se...@gmail.com> on 2014/12/23 21:11:13 UTC

Re: [VOTE] Release pool 2.3 based on RC1

On 23 December 2014 at 17:32, Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Tag:
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/pool/tags/POOL_2_3_RC1/

Tags are not immutable; the vote thread needs the revision.

> Release:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/commons/pool/

Likewise, the URL does not uniquely identify what artifacts are being voted on.
A revision or hashes of the artifacts are needed.

Also need link to KEYS file so can check the sigs

> Maven:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachecommons-1070
>
> Site:
> http://people.apache.org/~psteitz/pool/pool-2.3-rc1/
>
> Release notes:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/commons/pool/RELEASE-NOTES.txt
>
> Votes, please.  This vote will close in 72 hours (26-Dec 17:30 GMT)
>
> [ ] +1 Release this
> [ ] +0 Ok, but...
> [ ] -0  Really should fix...
> [X] -1 We should not release this RC

The code contains LinkedBlockingDeque which is based on 3rd party code.
There is no corresponding mention in the LICENSE file, this needs to be added.

I'm not sure that there should be a mention in the NOTICE file.
There does not appear to be an attribution requirement.
Or was the attribution removed from existing code?

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.
On 12/23/14 5:48 PM, sebb wrote:
> On 23 December 2014 at 21:57, Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>     r1647682

>> My tags are.
> But someone else could change it.
>
>>>  the vote thread needs the revision.

>> r7545
>>> Likewise, the URL does not uniquely identify what artifacts are being voted on.
>>> A revision or hashes of the artifacts are needed.
>>>
>>> Also need link to KEYS file so can check the sigs
>> My key has been on the commons KEYs file for 10+ years now.  I would
>> expect Commons PMC members to know where to grab that file.
> But the vote thread should allow anyone to review the code, not just
> those in the know.

>>> The code contains LinkedBlockingDeque which is based on 3rd party code.
>>> There is no corresponding mention in the LICENSE file, this needs to be added.
>> This is Apache Harmony code.  The ASF license header is there in the
>> source.
> Yes, but the NOTICE file contains a reference to
>
> http://creativecommons.org/licenses/publicdomain
>
> This is a license, and if it applies to the code, it needs to be in
> the LICENSE file.
> If it does not apply, why is it in NOTICE?
>
> I've found what I assume is the original file:
>
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/harmony/enhanced/java/branches/java6/classlib/modules/concurrent/src/main/java/java/util/concurrent/LinkedBlockingDeque.java
>
> This has the header:
>
> /*
>  * Written by Doug Lea with assistance from members of JCP JSR-166
>  * Expert Group and released to the public domain, as explained at
>  * http://creativecommons.org/licenses/publicdomain
>  */
>
> This does not look to me like a copyright statement that needs to be
> removed to NOTICE.
> See:
> http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html#headers
>
> Seems to me that a simple mention in LICENSE should be enough.

Not a blocker, IMO, but if you want to modify the files as you see
fit, go ahead and commit to trunk and I will pick up that changes if
there is another RC.  Otherwise, this one will go out like 2.0, 2.1,
2.2.

Phil

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.
On 12/23/14 5:48 PM, sebb wrote:
> On 23 December 2014 at 21:57, Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>     r1647682

>> My tags are.
> But someone else could change it.
>
>>>  the vote thread needs the revision.

>> r7545
>>> Likewise, the URL does not uniquely identify what artifacts are being voted on.
>>> A revision or hashes of the artifacts are needed.
>>>
>>> Also need link to KEYS file so can check the sigs
>> My key has been on the commons KEYs file for 10+ years now.  I would
>> expect Commons PMC members to know where to grab that file.
> But the vote thread should allow anyone to review the code, not just
> those in the know.

>>> The code contains LinkedBlockingDeque which is based on 3rd party code.
>>> There is no corresponding mention in the LICENSE file, this needs to be added.
>> This is Apache Harmony code.  The ASF license header is there in the
>> source.
> Yes, but the NOTICE file contains a reference to
>
> http://creativecommons.org/licenses/publicdomain
>
> This is a license, and if it applies to the code, it needs to be in
> the LICENSE file.
> If it does not apply, why is it in NOTICE?
>
> I've found what I assume is the original file:
>
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/harmony/enhanced/java/branches/java6/classlib/modules/concurrent/src/main/java/java/util/concurrent/LinkedBlockingDeque.java
>
> This has the header:
>
> /*
>  * Written by Doug Lea with assistance from members of JCP JSR-166
>  * Expert Group and released to the public domain, as explained at
>  * http://creativecommons.org/licenses/publicdomain
>  */
>
> This does not look to me like a copyright statement that needs to be
> removed to NOTICE.
> See:
> http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html#headers
>
> Seems to me that a simple mention in LICENSE should be enough.

I was on the fence between just putting the header back into the
source or moving the text from NOTICE to LICENSE.  I did that
latter.  Any objections to that?

Phil

Posted by Emmanuel Bourg <eb...@apache.org>.
Le 24/12/2014 01:48, sebb a écrit :

> But someone else could change it.

This has never happened and is easily tracked by the commit mails and
the SVN history. Let's focus on realistic issues.

Emmanuel Bourg

Re: [VOTE] Release pool 2.3 based on RC1

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.
On 12/23/14 1:11 PM, sebb wrote:
> On 23 December 2014 at 17:32, Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com> wrote: