Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by "Agarwal, Nikhil" <Ni...@netapp.com> on 2013/05/31 08:37:08 UTC

MapReduce on Local FileSystem

Hi,

Is it possible to run MapReduce on multiple nodes using Local File system (file:///<file:///\\>)  ?
I am able to run it in single node setup but in a multiple node setup the "slave" nodes are not able to access the "jobtoken" file which is present in the Hadoop.tmp.dir in "master" node.

Please let me know if it is possible to do this.

Thanks & Regards,
Nikhil

Re: MapReduce on Local FileSystem

Posted by Kun Ling <lk...@gmail.com>.
Hi Agarwal,
   I once have similar questions, and have done some experiment. Here is my
experience:
1. For some applications over MR, like HBase, Hive, which does not need to
submit additional files to HDFS, file:///  could work well without any
problem (According to my test).

2. For simple MR applications, like TeraSort, there is some problems by
simply using file:///, since MR will maintain some MR-control files both in
shared FileSystem, and local file sytem in one list, and will lookup the
list for the file, and simply using file:/// will cause the shared FS looks
the same as local filesystem, while in fact, they are two different kinds
of filesystem, and have different path conversion-rules.

For the 2nd issue, you can just create a new shared filesystem class by
deriving the existing org.apache.hadoop.fs.FileSystem , I have create such
a  repository with an example filesystem class implementation(
https://github.com/Lingcc/hadoop-lingccfs ), hoping it is helpful to you.

yours,
Ling Kun.

--
http://www.lingcc.com

Re: MapReduce on Local FileSystem

Posted by 王洪军 <wa...@gmail.com>.
Ingesting the data in HDFS is slow  ,Because it need a jvm process. But if
you don't use hdfs, you can't benifit from its features.   Without hdfs,the
big data will not be splited and distributed; I think  the initial time of
jvm is affordable if data is big, and hadoop is not good choice if the data
 is small.
file://   is cited local data, without distribution, other tasktracker
can't cite it until you copy it to the node all tasktrackers reside.

Posted by 王洪军 <wa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by 王洪军 <wa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by 王洪军 <wa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Sanjay Subramanian <Sa...@wizecommerce.com>.
Hi
Whats the data per hour or per day u r looking to put into HDFS ?

For dumping source data into HDFS there are again few options

Option 1
=======
Have parallel threads dumping raw data into HDFS from your source

Option 2
=======
Design how your Objects will look and write code to convert raw input files into Sequence Files and then dump it into HDFS

The community may have more options….depends on your use case

Regards
sanjay

Posted by "Agarwal, Nikhil" <Ni...@netapp.com>.
Hi,