Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Dan Davis <da...@gmail.com> on 2014/10/10 20:17:41 UTC

Tika Integration problem with DIH and JDBC

What I want to do is to pull an URL out of an Oracle database, and then use
TikaEntityProcessor and BinURLDataSource to go fetch and process that
URL.   I'm having a problem with this that seems general to JDBC with Tika
- I get an exception as follows:

Exception in entity :
extract:org.apache.solr.handler.dataimport.DataImportHandlerException:
Unable to execute query:
http://www.cdc.gov/healthypets/pets/wildlife.html Processing Document
# 14
	at org.apache.solr.handler.dataimport.DataImportHandlerException.wrapAndThrow(DataImportHandlerException.java:71)

Steps to reproduce any problem should be:

   - Try it with the XML and verify you get two documents and they contain
   text (schema browser with the text field)
   - Try it with a JDBC sqlite3 dataSource and verify that you get an
   exception, and advise me what may be the problem in my configuration ...

Now, I've tried this 3 ways:

   - My Oracle database - fails as above
   - An SQLite3 database to see if it is Oracle specific - fails with
   "Unable to execute query", but doesn't have the URL as part of the message.
   - An XML file listing two URLs - succeeds without error.

For the SQL attempts, setting onError="skip" leads the data from the
database to be indexed, but the exception is logged for each root entity.
I can tell that nothing is indexed from the text extraction by browsing the
"text" field from the schema browser and seeing how few terms there are.
The exceptions also sort of give it away, but it is good to be careful :)

This is using:

   - Tomcat 7.0.55
   - Solr 4.10.1
   - and JDBC drivers
      - ojdbc7.jar
      - sqlite-jdbc-3.7.2.jar

Excerpt of solrconfig.xml:

  <!-- Data Import Handler for Health Topics -->
  <requestHandler name="/dih-healthtopics" class="solr.DataImportHandler">
    <lst name="defaults">
      <str name="config">dih-healthtopics.xml</str>
    </lst>
  </requestHandler>

  <!-- Data Import Handler that imports a single URL via Tika -->
  <requestHandler name="/dih-smallxml" class="solr.DataImportHandler">
    <lst name="defaults">
      <str name="config">dih-smallxml.xml</str>
    </lst>
  </requestHandler>

    <!-- Data Import Handler that imports a single URL via Tika -->
  <requestHandler name="/dih-smallsqlite" class="solr.DataImportHandler">
    <lst name="defaults">
      <str name="config">dih-smallsqlite.xml</str>
    </lst>
  </requestHandler>

The data import handlers and a copy-paste from Solr logging are attached.

Re: Tika Integration problem with DIH and JDBC

Posted by Alexandre Rafalovitch <ar...@gmail.com>.
Yes,

DIH (and used to be Solr schema parser too) is great at ignoring the
things it does not know about and just using defaults instead.

Regards,
   Alex.
Personal: http://www.outerthoughts.com/ and @arafalov
Solr resources and newsletter: http://www.solr-start.com/ and @solrstart
Solr popularizers community: https://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=6713853

Posted by Dan Davis <da...@gmail.com>.
All,

Posted by Dan Davis <da...@gmail.com>.
Thanks, Alexandre.    My role is to kick the tires on this.   We're trying
it a couple of different ways.   So, I'm going to assume this could be
resolved and move on to trying ManifestCF and see whether it can do similar
things for me, e.g. what it adds for free to our bag of tricks.

Fwd: Tika Integration problem with DIH and JDBC

Posted by Alexandre Rafalovitch <ar...@gmail.com>.