Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Robert Monical <mo...@rmi.net> on 2000/11/29 22:26:46 UTC

Wanted: Modperl/Mason consultant:

Hello.

We have an Apache/Modperl/Mason/Oracle system and no programmers
experienced with the front end environment. (details available on request).
We are the Oracle programmer/DBA and Unix admin guys and fumble around in
the Perl as needed.  Slowly coming up to speed on Perl. The Apche server is
Solaris Intel, the Oracle database (7.3.4) may be on Solaris or Windows NT.

Our conclusion is that we need some adult supervision to get over some of
the rough spots as we develop proficiency in this tool set. We are further
handicapped by the reality that we each only have a few hours a week to
devote to the Web side of our application. I don't even have time to stay
current with the modperl mailing list.

The types of problems you would help us with include.
-- On a new Apache server we were bringing up, our program would not write
a file.  It took us two days to decide to look at the permissions on the
directory in question and give everybody write privilege. You would have
asked the question very early on.
-- Whilst working on a tedious but routine fix, in a moment of paranoia I
managed to convince myself that changes to the /usr/local/lib/perl  tree
were not getting picked up by Apache unless I rebooted the host
machine.  You would have calmed me down and suggested that I look deeper
into my database logic.
-- We have a nasty problem where sessions seem to refuse to die unless the
client browser exits. Still don't know where the problem is.
-- You will take us to the magical world of modperl debugging. It will be
like Disney World, only better. I'm sure of it.

Requirements
-- Very proficient  with Modperl and Mason.  Experience with CGI a plus.
-- Focus. The abrupt departure of the Web team left a lot of "gotta do's"
in the application system. You'll need to overlook those and focus on the
problem at hand.
-- We would probably need less than 5 hours a week of your time. We have
flexible hours.
-- Sense of humor: we'll be pretty punchy by the time we need your services.
-- You will have to execute a non-disclosure/non-compete agreement drawn up
by our ubiquitous legal staff.

If this is of interest to you, please forward a resume and rate to me at
monical@rmi.net.

Thanks

robert monical
monical@rmi.net

"Letter writing is the only device for combining solitude and good company."
     Lord Byron

Re: Wanted: Modperl/Mason consultant:

Posted by Michael Robinton <mi...@bizsystems.com>.
where are you located??

Michael Robinton
BizSystems
4600 El Camino Real - Suite 206B
Los Altos, CA 94022

650 947-3351
michael@bizsystems.com

Posted by "Randal L. Schwartz" <me...@stonehenge.com>.

cliff> plus, everyone knows your bid.
cliff> i don't have quite the credentials as Ask, but i only
cliff> cost $119.50 per hour.  :-))

I don't either, so I'll bid $119 an hour, but you have to think
intensely kind thoughts about me the entire time, and I get to bill
for twice as many hours as I actually work, just like some lawyers do.

:-)

<me...@stonehenge.com> <URL:http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/>

Re: Wanted: Modperl/Mason consultant:

Posted by Dave Rolsky <au...@urth.org>.
On Wed, 29 Nov 2000, ___cliff rayman___ wrote:

> plus, everyone knows your bid.
> i don't have quite the credentials as Ask, but i only
> cost $119.50 per hour.  :-))

Hmm, I'm on the Mason core team and I'll do it for $119.49/hour ;)

Actually, I'm just kidding, I have a job I should be working on already.

-dave

/*==================
www.urth.org
We await the New Sun
==================*/

Re: Wanted: Modperl/Mason consultant:

Posted by ___cliff rayman___ <cl...@genwax.com>.

___cliff rayman___cliff@genwax.com___http://www.genwax.com/

Re: Wanted: Modperl/Mason consultant:

Posted by Ask Bjoern Hansen <as...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 29 Nov 2000, Robert Monical wrote:

Hi Robert,

I don't have a lot of experience with mason, but I know mod_perl,
Apache and Perl very very well.

I've built a majority of the ValueClick banner serving system; all
built in Perl and using mod_perl for the frontend engine. It's
currently serving more than 75 million impressions a day.

My rate is $120 per hour and I am generally available to "go in
action" with a few hours warning. My email reponse time will typical
be very short too.

Let me know if you have any questions.

 - ask

--