Posted to dev@turbine.apache.org by Siegfried Goeschl <si...@it20one.at> on 2005/05/12 18:23:15 UTC

Current State of Turbine 2.4.1?!

Hi folks,

today I started to migrate my old Turbine application running on Torque
3.0 and Turbine 2.2. to more actual versions ... :-) ... the big
question is to move to Turbine 2.4.1 M2?

Being adventurous I got the CVS HEAD from the CVS repo ....

1) the build is broken since torque-20041102.134240.jar is nowhere found

2) can someone shed some light on the following statement in the
project.xml regarding the broken Torque dependency "needed for
integrated email, will be replaced by commons-email"?!

3) is it feasable to call a vote for removing ECM and Merlin to be
replaced with YAAFI? I'm dead serious - Turbine 2.4.1 is a dependency
graveyard - I counted 74 JARs needed for the compile whereas 30 of those
JARs belong to ECM and Merlin.

4) I suggest an incremental phase-out of Turbine services already found
at Fulcrum otherwise I'm without any chance to get a M2 running. But I'm
puzzled - a few of Fulcrum services are already included but there is
still the Turbine version around? Is this intentional or an oversight?

Cheers,

Siegfried Goeschl

Re: Current State of Turbine 2.4.1?!

Posted by Siegfried Goeschl <si...@it20one.at>.
Scott Eade wrote:

> Siegfried Goeschl wrote:
>
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> today I started to migrate my old Turbine application running on
>> Torque 3.0 and Turbine 2.2. to more actual versions ... :-) ... the
>> big question is to move to Turbine 2.4.1 M2?
>>
>> Being adventurous I got the CVS HEAD from the CVS repo ....
>>
>> 1) the build is broken since torque-20041102.134240.jar is nowhere found
>>
>> 2) can someone shed some light on the following statement in the
>> project.xml regarding the broken Torque dependency "needed for
>> integrated email, will be replaced by commons-email"?!
>

> According to cvs, epugh is responsible for both the torque build in
> use and the comment with regards to commons-email.  Ping Eric.
>

>> 3) is it feasable to call a vote for removing ECM and Merlin to be
>> replaced with YAAFI? I'm dead serious - Turbine 2.4.1 is a dependency
>> graveyard - I counted 74 JARs needed for the compile whereas 30 of
>> those JARs belong to ECM and Merlin.
>>
>> 4) I suggest an incremental phase-out of Turbine services already
>> found at Fulcrum otherwise I'm without any chance to get a M2
>> running. But I'm puzzled - a few of Fulcrum services are already
>> included but there is still the Turbine version around? Is this
>> intentional or an oversight?
>

> This is all to do with the deprecation rules that can be found at:
> http://maven.apache.org/development/deprecation.html  To follow the
> rules we need to do a 2.4 release first and then follow it up pretty
> much immediately with a 2.4.1 that removes the deprecated code and
> dependencies.
>
> What BTW is the deal with Avalon - it looks like it went totally pear
> shaped and no longer exists.  What does this mean for YAAFI?

Don't know how much you were involved in the Avalonic Wars but under the
Jakarta umbrella only the Fortress container remained while ECM is
deprecated and Merlin moved elsewhere. Being fed up with trying to
integrate them I wrote and contributed YAAFI. Basically the whole Avalon
thingie is centered around a set of interfaces implemented by services
and an Avalon service container is just a tool adhering to the Avalon
Lifecycle Contract. Therefore it is easy to replace an Avalon container
- at least in theory. I'm in touch with the Fortress developer community
to ensure in the long run that all of the existing Avalon Services run
on YAAFI (and hopefully the other way round as well).

Posted by Scott Eade <se...@backstagetech.com.au>.