Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by Makoto Yui <my...@apache.org> on 2017/06/05 09:44:31 UTC

Apache Ignite is collecting usage statics (?)

Hi,

My colleague found that Apache Ignite is periodically accessing to [1].
[1] https://ignite.run/update_status_ignite-plain-text.php

It is enabled by default setting. We evaluated
org.apache.ignite:ignite-core:1.9.0.

Corresponding code is [2]
[2] https://github.com/apache/ignite/blob/1d0b0765134a81e6626a9ef1c70939085f954847/modules/core/src/main/java/org/apache/ignite/internal/processors/cluster/ClusterProcessor.java#L81-L82

It does check whether Ignite is latest version or not, maybe with
usage tracking (?).
Posting JVM env variable [3] should not be sent because it may include
sensitive information such as password.
[3] https://github.com/apache/ignite/blob/1d0b0765134a81e6626a9ef1c70939085f954847/modules/core/src/main/java/org/apache/ignite/internal/processors/cluster/GridUpdateNotifier.java#L313

Is this allowed in the ASF's policy?
I guess old codes before contributing to ASF is still remaining though.

Thanks,
Makoto

--
Makoto YUI <myui AT apache.org>
Research Engineer, Treasure Data, Inc.

Re: Apache Ignite is collecting usage statics (?)

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.
Completely agree with the settlement and this will be deal with both
on dev@ and private@ of the project.

Cos
--
  Take care,
Konstantin (Cos) Boudnik

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed in this email are those of the author,
and do not necessarily represent the views of any company the author
might be affiliated with at the moment of writing.

Posted by Makoto Yui <my...@apache.org>.

Posted by Makoto Yui <yu...@gmail.com>.
Konstantin,

Thank you for creating a ticket. Will monitor it.

Makoto

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.
Hi Makoto!

thanks for the report. I don't see it so much to be a legal issue as
to be a security
issue. With an additional angle of being really obnoxious to the users
(but arguably
a lot of software is).

Can you please forward your request to security@apache.org just make
ASF-wide security team aware of this?

This is especially suspect given ignite.run doesn't have any ownership
information
associated with it and appears to be a random GoDaddy domain name.

Thanks,
Roman.