Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Ben Spencer <be...@moody.edu> on 2007/09/03 23:28:44 UTC

[users@httpd] Apache able to cache entire HTML page?

Background:
We have a CMS system which generally houses rarely-updated content (the
content providers are outside of our group and of course want to be able to
push updates out whenever they want). Saddly, the CMS system really can't
keep up with the traffic we receive without many backend application
servers. General waste of resources when content change is minimal.

Possible solution:
Apache out front caching and proxying the content. This seems reasonable,
except, it seems as if Apache still wants to check the backend server to see
if the content has updated (based off of header information). The backend
application always says that the content is expired and that new content
should be retrieved (CMS application design).

Question:
Can apache cache everything for an undefined amount of time
(days/months/years) without concern of the backend server's headers? With
some playing, we got this to work by removing headers, but, this seemed
overly complicated and not foolproof. The first non-cached request also
responded with some of the backend server headers while cached responses
responded with the appropriate Apache headers.

Thanks
Benji
---
Benji Spencer
System Administrator
Ph: 312-329-2288

RE: [users@httpd] Apache able to cache entire HTML page?

Posted by Ben Spencer <be...@moody.edu>.
Thanks. I will take a look at the wiki page (didn't know about it before)

benji

---
Benji Spencer
System Administrator