Posted to user@flink.apache.org by Aissa Elaffani <ai...@gmail.com> on 2020/07/17 01:05:26 UTC

CEP use case ?

Hello Guys,
I have some sensors  generating some data about their (température,
humidity, positioning , ...) and I want to apply some rules (simple
conditions, if température>25, ...), in order to define if the sensor is on
"Normal" status or "Alerte" status. Do i need to use flink CEP, or just the
DataStream Api is suffisant to define the status of each sensor.
Sorry for disturbing you ! I hope someone can help me with that.
Thank you guys.
Best
Aissa

Re: CEP use case ?

Posted by David Anderson <da...@alpinegizmo.com>.
If the rules can be implemented by examining events in isolation (e.g.,
temperature > 25), then the DataStream API is all you need. But if you want
rules that are looking for temporal patterns that play across multiple
events, then CEP or MATCH_RECOGNIZE (part of Flink SQL) will simplify
the implementation. An example of a more complex rule would be something
like "the temperature rose by more than 5 degrees during an hour".

Note that both CEP and MATCH_RECOGZNIZE are designed for situations in
which the rules are known at compile time.

Best,
David