Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Anthony Swan <an...@crazytonys.com> on 2003/04/08 18:25:44 UTC

Sessions expiring under load

Hi,

    We have a system that is currently undergoing scalability and
performance tuning and we are having a problem with sessions randomly
expiring.

Here is our setup:
    JBoss with integrated Tomcat (4.1.12) on Solaris
    LoadRunner launching 20, 50, 100, 150, 200 users against the server
(within a few seconds of eachother)

    The sessions all appear to be expiring after the second page.  We
see the jsessionid being transferred (in the URL) with cookies turned
off.

    We don't think it's our application because we have one call to
session.invalidate() and we have quite a few logging statements around
it that we never see come up.

The sessions don't all expire -- most work properly -- but the higher
the load the higher the percentage of expired sessions.  We are running
the exact same script for all the users.

    Our numbers are expressed in the following:
    50(users)x5(runs through app per user)=250(total runs)

    Here's what we see:
    50x5(250): 2.5% expired rate (~6)
    100x5(500):  8.6% expired rate (~43)
    150x5(750):  10.4% expired rate (~78)
    200x5(1000):  13.8% expired rate (~138)

    We run at 20x5(100) consistently without errors.

If you need any additional information let me know.

Thanks,
Tony