Posted to user@spark.apache.org by Amin Borjian <bo...@outlook.com> on 2021/11/24 07:14:43 UTC

[Spark] Does Spark support backward and forward compatibility?

I have a simple question about using Spark, which although most tools usually explain this question explicitly (in important text, such as a specific format or a separate page), I did not find it anywhere. Maybe my search was not enough, but I thought it was good that I ask this question in the hope that maybe the answer will benefit other people as well.

Spark binary is usually downloaded from the following link and installed and configured on the cluster: Download Apache Spark<https://spark.apache.org/downloads.html>

If, for example, we use the Java language for programming (although it can be other supported languages), we need the following dependencies to communicate with Spark:

<dependency>

    <groupId>org.apache.spark</groupId>

    <artifactId>spark-core_2.12</artifactId>

    <version>3.2.0</version>

</dependency>

<dependency>

    <groupId>org.apache.spark</groupId>

    <artifactId>spark-sql_2.12</artifactId>

    <version>3.2.0</version>

</dependency>

As is clear, both the Spark cluster (binary of Spark) and the dependencies used on the application side have a specific version. In my opinion, it is obvious that if the version used is the same on both the application side and the server side, everything will most likely work in its ideal state without any problems.

But the question is, what if the two versions are not the same? Is it possible to have compatibility between the server and the application in specific number of conditions (such as not changing major version)? Or, for example, if the client is always ahead, is it not a problem? Or if the server is always ahead, is it not a problem?

The argument is that there may be a library that I did not write and it is an old version, but I want to update my cluster (server version). Or it may not be possible for me to update the server version and all the applications version at the same time, so I want to update each one separately. As a result, the application-server version differs in a period of time. (maybe short or long period) I want to know exactly how Spark works in this situation.

Re: [Spark] Does Spark support backward and forward compatibility?

Posted by "Lalwani, Jayesh" <jl...@amazon.com.INVALID>.
One thing to be pointed out is that you never bundle the Spark Client with your code. You compile against a Spark version. You bundle your code (without Spark jars) in an uber jar and deploy the Uber jar into Spark. Spark is already bundled with the jars that are required to send jobs to scheduler. At runtime, your code will be using the jars bundled in the instance of Spark that your application is running in

Spark is backward compatible; ie; a jar, compiled against 3.1.x , will run in a Spark 3.2.0 cluster
Like Sean mentioned, Spark is not guaranteed to be forward compatible; ie; a jar, compiled against 3.2.1, may not run in a Spark 2.4.0 cluster. It might work if the functions called from your code are available in 2.4.0. But, it will fail if you are calling API that was introduced after 2.4.0.

So, the question of “Can I use an older version of the client to submit jobs to a newer version of Spark” is moot. You never do that.

From: Amin Borjian <bo...@outlook.com>
Date: Wednesday, November 24, 2021 at 2:44 PM
To: Sean Owen <sr...@gmail.com>
Cc: "user@spark.apache.org" <us...@spark.apache.org>
Subject: RE: [EXTERNAL] [Spark] Does Spark support backward and forward compatibility?

Thanks again for reply.

Personally, I think the whole cluster should have a single version. What mattered most to me was how important the client version that sends the jobs to scheduler, that we should hope everything work well in small version changes! (In version changes less than major)

Posted by Amin Borjian <bo...@outlook.com>.
Thanks again for reply.

Posted by Martin Wunderlich <ma...@wunderlich.com>.
Hi Amin,

This might be only marginally relevant to your question, but in my
project I also noticed the following: The trained and exported Spark
models (i.e. pipelines saved to binary files) are also not compatible
between versions, at least between major versions. I noticed this when
trying to load a model built with Spark 2.4.4 after updating to 3.2.0.
This didn't work.

Cheers,

Martin

Posted by Sean Owen <sr...@gmail.com>.