Posted to user@lenya.apache.org by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com> on 2004/09/16 13:34:20 UTC

mod_lenya

Dear All

Gregor Imboden and I have developed an Apache module which makes
a Lenya powered website really fast. You can download it from

http://www.wyona.org

resp.

http://www.wyona.org/mod_lenya.tar.gz

There is a nice README included ;-)

If the community likes it then we can certainly donate it to Apache.

Next step would be to generalize it (as I once described it in a
previous email)

Michi

--
Michael Wechner

Re: mod_lenya

Posted by Gregor Imboden <gr...@wyona.com>.
> But maybe the config parameter name ProxyPrefix is confusing and we
> should change it to just "Prefix", because it has nothing to do with
> mod_proxy

I changed it to "Prefix", the new mod_lenya is now on wyona.org

Gregor

Re: mod_lenya

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
Torsten Schlabach wrote:

>Look interesting. But what I don't like about it is that it still relies on
>mod_proxy.

It doesn't rely on mod_proxy, but rather passes the request
back into Apache when the file cannot be found within the cache
directory, which means one can use any other module, e.g. mod_jk2,
after that.

But maybe the config parameter name ProxyPrefix is confusing and we
should change it to just "Prefix", because it has nothing to do with
mod_proxy

> I don't think it is very elegant to have Apache parse a URL just
>to send it out again pretty much unchanged to Tomcat. I would like a
>solution based on JK2 (mod_jk2).

that's what the mod_jk2 website is saying ;-)

but yes, there is certainly plenty of room for improvement.

As I stated in a previous email, it would be nice if the servlet API
would support the caching itself and that you could enable a connector
(e.g. via mod_jk2) to talk to Apache or any other server re caching
requests or deleting from cache.

>The solution would probably be to introduce some simple rewriting into
>mod_jk2. I think a lot of Cocoon users would love that as well if they want
>to serve different sites out of the same instance of Cocoon in order to
>conserve memory.

yes, in the end it has nothing to do with Lenya, but what
is actually needed is a dependency manager in order to the tell the
cache what needs to be deleted if something has changed. Lenya is
kind of acting is a dependency manager when publishing documents.

>(Ok, this discussion rather belongs on a very different mailing list.)

well, sometimes it's good to start somewhere and then go from there
instead of talking about it forever. Projects can always be moved ;-)

Michi

>Torsten
>

>>Dear All
>>
>>Gregor Imboden and I have developed an Apache module which makes
>>a Lenya powered website really fast. You can download it from
>>
>>http://www.wyona.org
>>
>>resp.
>>
>>http://www.wyona.org/mod_lenya.tar.gz
>>
>>There is a nice README included ;-)
>>
>>If the community likes it then we can certainly donate it to Apache.
>>
>>Next step would be to generalize it (as I once described it in a
>>previous email)
>>
>>Michi
>>
>>--
>>Michael Wechner
>>Wyona Inc.  -   Open Source Content Management   -   Apache Lenya
>>http://www.wyona.com              http://cocoon.apache.org/lenya/
>>michael.wechner@wyona.com                        michi@apache.org

Michael Wechner

Re: mod_lenya

Posted by Torsten Schlabach <TS...@gmx.net>.
Look interesting. But what I don't like about it is that it still relies on
mod_proxy. I don't think it is very elegant to have Apache parse a URL just
to send it out again pretty much unchanged to Tomcat. I would like a
solution based on JK2 (mod_jk2). This would have some advantages, such as

* if the Tomcat was on the same machine, it could run using sockets or
in-process (speed!)
* There would be no need for Tomcat having an "open" http port like 8080 or
the like (clean, security!)
* Load balancing would be possible.

Of course it is not a problem to run Lenya through mod_jk2. The only problem
is that I did not yet find any URL rewriting mechanism or proxy mechanism
that would allow to turn http://www.host.com/index.html into
http://www.host.com/lenya/hostpub/live/index.html.

I experiemented with mod_rewrite, but once a URL is rewritten Apache
considers this a file anyway and does not pass it to mod_jk2 anymore. Or it
foces a client redirect (HTTP 302) which will make the redirected URL
visible in the user's browser which is what you don't want.

Re: mod_lenya

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote

> the good old vignette 404-redirector. Nice!
>
> it would be kinda cool to integrate this functionality with the new
> mod_proxy_ajp module instead of reinventing the wheel.

thanks for the pointer

http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.1/mod/mod_proxy_ajp.html

It seems to me that there are a lot of people which would like
to have something like that (not just Java), but we just need to get
started somewhere.

Maybe I can try to organize a BOF during the upcoming OSCOM conference
or during the upcoming Cocoon GetTogether.

Anyway, Gregor Imboden and I will talk about it at ApacheCon and I hope
we will be able to make some progress re generalization until then.

Michi

--
Michael Wechner

Re: mod_lenya

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.

Re: mod_lenya

Posted by Antonio Gallardo <ag...@agssa.net>.
Michael Wechner dijo:
> Dear All
>
> Gregor Imboden and I have developed an Apache module which makes
> a Lenya powered website really fast. You can download it from
>
> http://www.wyona.org
>
> resp.
>
> http://www.wyona.org/mod_lenya.tar.gz
>
> There is a nice README included ;-)
>
> If the community likes it then we can certainly donate it to Apache.

+1!

Best Regards,

Antonio Gallardo