Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Hugh Williams <hu...@soco.agilent.com> on 2002/12/18 19:57:13 UTC

[users@httpd] GET line length limit?

Hi;

I know that there's a limit to how many characters a URL can include
when using a GET method for form submission.  Where (if anywhere) is
this limit set/enforced?  Is it an environment varibale that is
hardware/OS dependent?  Is it inside Apache?  Is it in my head (oops,
sorry, old Who lyrics...)?

Thanks,

hugh

--
 Hugh Williams			"And the time will come when you'll see
 hugh_williams@agilent.com  	 We're all very small

Re: [users@httpd] GET line length limit?

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.
Jacob Coby wrote:

> > I know that there's a limit to how many characters a URL can include
> > when using a GET method for form submission.  Where (if anywhere) is
> > this limit set/enforced?

MaxRequestLine directive.

Re: [users@httpd] GET line length limit?

Posted by Jacob Coby <jc...@listingbook.com>.
> I know that there's a limit to how many characters a URL can include
> when using a GET method for form submission.  Where (if anywhere) is
> this limit set/enforced?  Is it an environment varibale that is
> hardware/OS dependent?  Is it inside Apache?  Is it in my head (oops,
> sorry, old Who lyrics...)?

Well, it's a little bit of all of those.  The HTTP RFC defines a 414 as
Request-URI too long, but does not specify what too long is.  IIRC, apache
has a limit of 4k, and IE won't even attempt to send more than 2040 (or
thereabouts [IIRC], it isn't a sane number) of urlencoded characters.

10.4.15 414 Request-URI Too Long

   The server is refusing to service the request because the Request-URI
   is longer than the server is willing to interpret. This rare
   condition is only likely to occur when a client has improperly
   converted a POST request to a GET request with long query
   information, when the client has descended into a URI "black hole" of
   redirection (e.g., a redirected URI prefix that points to a suffix of
   itself), or when the server is under attack by a client attempting to
   exploit security holes present in some servers using fixed-length
   buffers for reading or manipulating the Request-URI.

-Jacob

RE: [users@httpd] GET line length limit?

Posted by Pritpal Dhaliwal <pd...@tycoint.com>.
Well,

I belive the limit is 1024 bytes. I don't think its enforced at too many places but i suggest using post if anything longer than 1024 is needed.

Say if someone comes up with a great new client, they might enforce it, or it can be enforced by a non-apache server.

Generally I don't think you need more than 1024 bytes.

Regards,
Paul