Posted to dev@arrow.apache.org by Anja <an...@gmail.com> on 2023/03/30 17:54:26 UTC

Proposal: add a bot to close PRs that haven't been updated in 30 days

When checked this morning, there were 119 PRs that haven't been updated in
30 days. The oldest was nearly 3 years old.

I propose the addition of a bot that will automatically close any PRs that
haven't been updated in 30 days. The closing will act as a notification to
the reviewers and submitter to evaluate if the work still has value, and
just outright close work that is too out-dated for a straightforward merge.

If the behaviour is done by a bot, it could reduce maintenance burden, and
simplify the emotional response. A bot can link to a policy, and it feels
neutral in its consistent tone.

Re: Proposal: add a bot to close PRs that haven't been updated in 30 days

Posted by Jacob Wujciak <ja...@voltrondata.com.INVALID>.
I am +1 on the general idea. Looking at other projects a two step process
with the PRs being marked stale first (with a comment to ping participants)
and only being closed after a second period of time.

I also agree with Rok that it would be nice to do /something/ with the
issue backlog. There are a lot of valid issues but also a bunch of
outdated/superseded ones that could be closed.

Posted by Rok Mihevc <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Antoine Pitrou <an...@python.org>.

Posted by Weston Pace <we...@gmail.com>.

Posted by David Li <li...@apache.org>.

Posted by Gang Wu <us...@gmail.com>.
From a contributor perspective, it would be great if a bot could detect a

Posted by Joris Van den Bossche <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Weston Pace <we...@gmail.com>.
Personally, my workflow is driven entirely by notifications so I don't even
notice stale PRs.  That being said, making a PR a draft sounds pretty
harmless.

Slightly unrelated, but now that we have the "awaiting review" label, would
it be possible to write a comment on PRs that have been waiting for review
for a certain period of time?  This would pop it back up into the
notification queue.

On Fri, Mar 31, 2023 at 8:38 AM Alessandro Molina

Posted by Alessandro Molina <al...@voltrondata.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Aldrin <ak...@ucsc.edu.INVALID>.

Posted by Will Jones <wi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Joris Van den Bossche <jo...@gmail.com>.