Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by "Edward J. Yoon" <ed...@apache.org> on 2008/09/01 08:38:58 UTC

Re: Taste on Hbase?

AFAIK, Since hadoop doesn't provide file-append function, Current
Hbase have a problem of data loss when Hbase crashed.

BTW, We also think about CF for example -
http://wiki.apache.org/hama/TraditionalCollaborativeFiltering

If you have some advanced idea, please let me know.

Regards, Edward

--
Best regards, Edward J. Yoon
edwardyoon@apache.org

Re: Taste on Hbase?

Posted by Sean Owen <sr...@gmail.com>.
Yes, this is a sketch of basic user-based collaborative filtering,
using a cosine-measure correlation as a similarity metric? (I think it
needs to divide out by the size of the two vectors?).

The analog in Mahout would be
org.apache.mahout.cf.taste.impl.recommender.GenericUserBasedRecommender,
and org.apache.mahout.cf.taste.impl.similarity.PearsonCorrelationSimilarity

I agree that one could parallelize computation of the user-user
similarity. Indeed I think any scalable recommender is going to have
to do a lot of intense precomputation, via something like Hadoop, and
then relatively little at runtime.

Re: Taste on Hbase?

Posted by Karl Wettin <ka...@gmail.com>.
1 sep 2008 kl. 08.38 skrev Edward J. Yoon:

> AFAIK, Since hadoop doesn't provide file-append function, Current
> Hbase have a problem of data loss when Hbase crashed.

Actually, hdfs handle append since not too long ago. Not much support
for it yet though.

      karl

Re: Taste on Hbase?

Posted by Sean Owen <sr...@gmail.com>.