Posted to users@maven.apache.org by "Morgovsky, Alexander (US - Glen Mills)" <am...@deloitte.com> on 2006/09/19 22:38:47 UTC

Branch builds and Maven repositories

Hi everyone.  I appreciate everyone's help on my previous questions, and
I hope that I may receive some assistance on the following questions.
We are going to have major release branches, minor release branches, and
specialized branches, so we are going to have 3 levels of branching.
How should we set up the Maven repository(ies) for this kind of
environment?  Should we have 1 central Maven repository and a folder in
this repository for every type of branch build, or should it be based on
build and target environment?  Also, what kind of naming conventions
should we give to our generated binaries, in the terms of should we
include the branch information in the version of the generated artifact?
I am confident that there is someone out there who has faced a similar
situation before, and I would like to thank you in advance for any help
or references given.  Thanks.

This message (including any attachments) contains confidential information intended for a specific individual and purpose, and is protected by law.  If you are not the intended recipient, you should delete this message.

Any disclosure, copying, or distribution of this message, or the taking of any action based on it, is strictly prohibited. [v.E.1]

Re: Branch builds and Maven repositories

Posted by Lee Meador <le...@leemeador.com>.
Actually, according to the last paragraph of your message, I am prohibited
from replying to it since that would be an action I am taking.

I don't have a really good answer and am looking forward to seeing what
someone else says. We are using the version numbering to identify the
branching. So our mainline is now 2.0-SNAPSHOT while our first released
version was 1.0. Then we branched a 1.1-SNAPSHOT which got "released" to
test as 1.1.0.1 through 1.1.0.23 before turning into 1.1. (I don't know why
I'm using the third number place with the test releases numberd in the
fourth place. It must have seemed like a good idea at the time.) The local
repo just ends up getting all the versions that we give real numbers.

Our app is organized such that all the differs between environments is a
pair of configuration files. To back up we have to extract the right config
files from SVN. I doubt that helps you much.

-- Lee

--
-- Lee Meador
Sent from gmail. My real email address is lee AT leemeador.com