Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Jörg Schaible <jo...@gmx.de> on 2006/01/25 02:37:12 UTC

Which Maven / xdoc-plugin version to build component site?

Hi folks,

which version of Maven and the xdoc-plugin is necessary to build the site of
a component? Building for commons-id, I just get:

====== %< =======
xdoc:jelly-transform:
    [echo]
Generating /home/joehni/src/Jakarta/sandbox/id/target/docs/javadoc.html
from /home/joehni/src/Jakarta/sandbox/id/target/generated-xdocs/javadoc.xml
Could not find the class: org.apache.commons.jelly.tags.fmt.FmtTagLibrary
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
org.apache.commons.jelly.tags.fmt.FmtTagLibrary
====== %< =======

Maven is 1.0.2
xdoc-plugin is 1.8

- Jörg

Re: Which Maven / xdoc-plugin version to build component site?

Posted by Jörg Schaible <jo...@gmx.de>.
Jörg Schaible wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> which version of Maven and the xdoc-plugin is necessary to build the site
> of a component? Building for commons-id, I just get:
>
> ====== %< =======
> xdoc:jelly-transform:
>     [echo]
> Generating /home/joehni/src/Jakarta/sandbox/id/target/docs/javadoc.html
> from
> /home/joehni/src/Jakarta/sandbox/id/target/generated-xdocs/javadoc.xml
> Could not find the class: org.apache.commons.jelly.tags.fmt.FmtTagLibrary
> java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
> org.apache.commons.jelly.tags.fmt.FmtTagLibrary ====== %< =======
>
> Maven is 1.0.2
> xdoc-plugin is 1.8

OK, works with xdoc-1.9.2 ...

Posted by Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com>.
On 1/24/06, Simon Kitching <sk...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-01-24 at 20:42 -0500, Rahul Akolkar wrote:
> > On 1/24/06, Jörg Schaible <jo...@gmx.de> wrote:
<snip/>
> > > xdoc-plugin is 1.8
> > <snap/>
> >
> > Try 1.9.2. Some folks have begun adding a specific version dependency
> > to the POM (marked "site" only).
> >
> > http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/jakarta/commons/proper/commons-build/trunk/pluginUpdate.txt
> >
> > This has become a popular question, need to put it on the wiki as
> > well. Maybe after dinner ...
>
> The current setup really sucks in my opinion.
>
> Is it the commons-build stuff that requires this plugin version? If so,
> why isn't the pom for commons-build declaring a reference on it? It's
> ridiculous for each project to have to do so.
>
> The link to the "pluginUpdate" stuff is not good also. The point of
> these build tools is that they download the bits they need
> automatically; having to explicitly install a bunch of plugins (of
> versions that are undocumented in the thing being built) is like a leap
> back into the last century.

<snap/>

December had some other related prosperous threads, if you want to look 'em up.

-Rahul

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.
On 1/24/06, Simon Kitching <sk...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-01-24 at 20:42 -0500, Rahul Akolkar wrote:
> > On 1/24/06, Jörg Schaible <jo...@gmx.de> wrote:
> > > Hi folks,
> > >
> > > which version of Maven and the xdoc-plugin is necessary to build the site of
> > > a component? Building for commons-id, I just get:
> > >
> > > ====== %< =======
> > > xdoc:jelly-transform:
> > >    [echo]
> > > Generating /home/joehni/src/Jakarta/sandbox/id/target/docs/javadoc.html
> > > from /home/joehni/src/Jakarta/sandbox/id/target/generated-xdocs/javadoc.xml
> > > Could not find the class: org.apache.commons.jelly.tags.fmt.FmtTagLibrary
> > > java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
> > > org.apache.commons.jelly.tags.fmt.FmtTagLibrary
> > > ====== %< =======
> > >
> > > Maven is 1.0.2
> > <snip/>
> >
> > Thats good.
> >

> > > xdoc-plugin is 1.8
> > <snap/>
> >
> > Try 1.9.2. Some folks have begun adding a specific version dependency
> > to the POM (marked "site" only).
> >
> > http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/jakarta/commons/proper/commons-build/trunk/pluginUpdate.txt
> >
> > This has become a popular question, need to put it on the wiki as
> > well. Maybe after dinner ...
>
> The current setup really sucks in my opinion.
>
> Is it the commons-build stuff that requires this plugin version? If so,
> why isn't the pom for commons-build declaring a reference on it? It's
> ridiculous for each project to have to do so.

Unfortunately, the maven 1.x plugin dependencies do not work like that
- unless commons-build were to build all of the sites, which would be
a mess.  See archives that Rahul references for details.

> The link to the "pluginUpdate" stuff is not good also. The point of
> these build tools is that they download the bits they need
> automatically; having to explicitly install a bunch of plugins (of
> versions that are undocumented in the thing being built) is like a leap
> back into the last century.

Agreed. Help on the maven 2 migration that Brett / Dennis have started
would I am sure be appreciated.

The root cause of the xdoc issue is the custom commons-site.jsl that
gives the customized l & f for the commons site.  It was not possible
(at least I could not figure out how to do it) to modify it to work
with both the 1.9+ xdoc plugin and the <=1.8 version.  If you can find
a way to modify this to work with both versions, that would also be a
help.

Phil

Re: Which Maven / xdoc-plugin version to build component site?

Posted by Simon Kitching <sk...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jörg Schaible <jo...@gmx.de>.
Thanks Martin and Rahul,

[snip]

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/jakarta/commons/proper/commons-build/trunk/pluginUpdate.txt

> This has become a popular question, need to put it on the wiki as
> well. Maybe after dinner ...

I've added it to the project.xml of c-id, so it is available the next time
independently of the current installed plugins. Nevertheless the pointer is
good, I will look there next time first ;-)

Posted by Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com>.
On 1/24/06, Jörg Schaible <jo...@gmx.de> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> which version of Maven and the xdoc-plugin is necessary to build the site of
> a component? Building for commons-id, I just get:
>
> ====== %< =======
> xdoc:jelly-transform:
>    [echo]
> Generating /home/joehni/src/Jakarta/sandbox/id/target/docs/javadoc.html
> from /home/joehni/src/Jakarta/sandbox/id/target/generated-xdocs/javadoc.xml
> Could not find the class: org.apache.commons.jelly.tags.fmt.FmtTagLibrary
> java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
> org.apache.commons.jelly.tags.fmt.FmtTagLibrary
> ====== %< =======
>
> Maven is 1.0.2
<snip/>

Thats good.

> xdoc-plugin is 1.8
<snap/>

Try 1.9.2. Some folks have begun adding a specific version dependency
to the POM (marked "site" only).

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/jakarta/commons/proper/commons-build/trunk/pluginUpdate.txt

This has become a popular question, need to put it on the wiki as
well. Maybe after dinner ...

-Rahul

> - Jörg

<snip/>

Re: Which Maven / xdoc-plugin version to build component site?

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.
On 1/24/06, Jörg Schaible <jo...@gmx.de> wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> which version of Maven and the xdoc-plugin is necessary to build the site
> of
> a component?

This file has the list of plugins and their versions:

https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/jakarta/commons/proper/commons-build/trunk/pluginUpdate.txt

Maven 1.0.2 is the base.

--
Martin Cooper