Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Henk <he...@kmi-irm.be> on 2005/03/01 16:40:51 UTC

Can Cocoon do this ? JMS + file output

Hi,

reading the Cocoon doco's and playing around a bit, I'm very impressed
with it's possibilities.  Before really taking off, I wanted to ask your
opinion about what I want to achieve.
The plan is to have a system that processes xml (from files or from the
database) and to convert/combine these files to other xml, text,
whatever.  The catch is that the processing should not only be started
via a http request, but also via a jms message.  AND the result should
also be saved in a separate directory and not only be shown in a browser.
I saw something regarding jms in the samples in which it is used to
invalidate the cache.  Maybe it can be used to do other stuff too ?
It would be interesting to have cocoon running in a container so I can
use it for webservices.
Note that the number of requests will be rather limited (max. 1 per few
seconds).
Most of the time I will be using oracle as datasource.
What do you guys think ?  Ofcourse I don't expect a complete solution,
but pointing me to some helpfull stuff would be appreciated a lot.

Thanks !

Henk

Re: Can Cocoon do this ? JMS + file output

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi Henk,

> ...The plan is to have a system that processes xml (from files or from
> the
> database) and to convert/combine these files to other xml, text,
> whatever...

This is where Cocoon shines for sure: convert whatever data source to
xml, aggregate, transform, serialize to whatever format, you won't be
disappointed.

>   The catch is that the processing should not only be started
> via a http request, but also via a jms message.  AND the result should
> also be saved in a separate directory and not only be shown in a
> browser...

An easy implementation, that wouldn't require you to learn much about
Cocoon internals, would be to implement this as a separate module:
subscribe to the JMS bus, use the jakarta httpclient to make HTTP
requests to Cocoon and save the result in files.

You could of course do this "internally" in Cocoon, as Ralph suggests,
but if you haven't used Cocoon yet I'd suggest this "external" way, at
least as a first step, to get you up to speed faster.

-Bertrand

Re: Can Cocoon do this ? JMS + file output

Posted by Ralph Goers <Ra...@dslextreme.com>.
I've thought about doing this also for various reasons. It shouldn't be
too hard.  This is such an obvious use case that I wonder if someone
hasn't done it already? If not it could be added to the JMS block.