Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Daniel Kleviansky <da...@kleviansky.com> on 2016/10/27 00:25:09 UTC

High Usage of Survivor Space

​Hi everyone,

Organisation is running Cassandra for Windows v2.2.5
One of our development (non-load testing) clusters has a total of 6 nodes
across two DCs, with an RF = 3:3.
Each node has a total of 16GB of memory, and no JVM options have been
modified.

We're seeing what I believe to be unusually high usage of survivor space
across all nodes in the cluster. Some sit at a consistently 100% maxed out
state, while others are found at about 90%.

Initial thoughts is this is linked to high number of keyspaces/column
families running on this particular cluster. There is a total of 28
keyspaces and 412 column families. I have no empirical evidence to support
this theory, hence me reaching out to the mailing list.

Is there any way to verify this theory, and/or discover potential root
causes?

Please let me know what other information I can provide, and I'll be sure
to get it ASAP.

Kindest regards,
Daniel Kleviansky

Re: High Usage of Survivor Space

Posted by Vladimir Yudovin <vl...@winguzone.com>.
Hi,

did this high memory usage caused the problems? OOM crashes, GC pauses?

Best regards, Vladimir Yudovin,

Winguzone - Hosted Cloud Cassandra
Launch your cluster in minutes.

---- On Wed, 26 Oct 2016 21:51:26 -0400Daniel Kleviansky &lt;daniel@kleviansky.com&gt; wrote ----

Before anyone wastes any time replying, I found out that most of these were not being used, and manage to drop certain keyspaces and reduce the count of column families to 158.

Thought still a fair number, this seems to have relieved the issue significantly!

Hope this helps someone out at some point, otherwise, sorry for the unnecessary emails. ;)

Daniel

On Thu, Oct 27, 2016 at 11:25 AM, Daniel Kleviansky &lt;daniel@kleviansky.com&gt; wrote:

--

Daniel Kleviansky