Posted to dev@lenya.apache.org by Jörn Nettingsmeier <po...@uni-duisburg.de> on 2006/06/24 16:02:11 UTC

organizing the modules

hi andreas!

currently, we have the modules split into

  * modules
  * modules-core
  * modules-legacy
  * modules-optional

i would like to have an explicit definition of what that means, ideally
as a README in the src/ directory.

what were your intentions when you re-organized them?

i have a problem with the "modules" dir which contains the majority of
modules right now. apparently they are not "core" and they are not
"optional"... (my first thought was a module can be either one or the
other.)

can you just dump your criteria into a README with lazy consensus on, so
that others can adhere to them when preparing patches?

as to the module declarations, i have added some annotations to
bugzilla, please review.

best,

jörn

--
"Open source takes the bullshit out of software."
	- Charles Ferguson on TechnologyReview.com

--
Jörn Nettingsmeier, EDV-Administrator
Institut für Politikwissenschaft

Re: organizing the modules

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
Jörn Nettingsmeier wrote:
> one thing i don't understand:
>
> currently we have the long name as used in the "id" field, which is also
> used for copying the module java code into the build directory (which is
> questionable imho - why not create a folder hierarchy and put the
> classes there? in build, we don't need to separate the modules from each
> other, and getting the classes would become a lot more efficient if they
> share a common tree).

IMO it makes sense to compile each module in a separate directory,
because this allows to generate separate JAR files.

> and there is also the short name, used for the source directory and for
> calling the module via lenya://modules/<shortname>/... how is the
> mapping done?

ATM this is just the name of the directory the module resides in.

IMO it should be allowed to use shortcuts to reference modules
to keep the code simple, but the build process should check for
collisions.

This could be solved by a module declaration file, which would be
quite useful anyway to exclude/include single modules from the
build process:

<modules>

   <module id="org.apache.lenya.modules.sitetree" shortcut="sitetree"/>
   <module id="com.myproject.sitetree" shortcut="my-sitetree"/>

   <!-- currently not used
   <module id="..."/>
   -->

</modules>

WDYT?

-- Andreas

--
Andreas Hartmann
andreas.hartmann@wyona.com                     andreas@apache.org

Re: organizing the modules

Posted by Jörn Nettingsmeier <po...@uni-duisburg.de>.
one thing i don't understand:

currently we have the long name as used in the "id" field, which is also
used for copying the module java code into the build directory (which is
questionable imho - why not create a folder hierarchy and put the
classes there? in build, we don't need to separate the modules from each
other, and getting the classes would become a lot more efficient if they
share a common tree).

and there is also the short name, used for the source directory and for
calling the module via lenya://modules/<shortname>/... how is the
mapping done?
everything seems to work as it is, but i have no idea why, and i would
like to know the most bulletproof way to reference modules in my code...
could you explain a bit?

tia,

jörn

Re: organizing the modules

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
Jörn Nettingsmeier wrote:
> hi andreas!
>

> currently, we have the modules split into
>
>  * modules
>  * modules-core
>  * modules-legacy
>  * modules-optional
>
> i would like to have an explicit definition of what that means, ideally
> as a README in the src/ directory.
>
> what were your intentions when you re-organized them?

I put the modules which I extracted from the core in the modules-core
directory. My idea of this "category" is that it contains a basic
set of modules which all other modules can rely on. Actually I'd like
to split up the core into modules entirely, this would be the purpose
of the "core modules". IMO it would be nice if a dependency to a core
module wouldn't have to be declared explicitly.

I used the modules-legacy directory for the 1.2 task stuff, which
is deprecated and will probably not be 100% functional anymore
(e.g. the scheduler).

> i have a problem with the "modules" dir which contains the majority of
> modules right now. apparently they are not "core" and they are not
> "optional"... (my first thought was a module can be either one or the
> other.)

+1

IMO we should move them either of these categories.

> can you just dump your criteria into a README with lazy consensus on, so
> that others can adhere to them when preparing patches?

Sure, as soon as we agreed on something reasonable :)

> as to the module declarations, i have added some annotations to
> bugzilla, please review.

Thanks, I'll take a look at it.
IIRC Michi coined the contents of the module descriptor, I guess
he can explain his intentions better than me :)

Thanks for your comments!

-- Andreas