Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Magesh Umasankar <um...@apache.org> on 2002/02/03 23:38:15 UTC

Re: [SUBMIT] Refactor & combination of mail tasks

Erik/Steve:

Will one of you please take care of this?

Cheers,
Magesh

Posted by Magesh Umasankar <um...@apache.org>.
From: "Stephane Bailliez" <sb...@apache.org>

*  Doctor: A person who kills your ills by pills,  *
*  and then kills you with his bills.              *

> There is no point in exagerating patch support.
> It's not like a mission critical app., and we
> don't have to accept everything to make a kitchen
> sink just to please everybody. If someone sent a
> patch and that's a blocker, than she is using a
> workaround or a patched version. If someone sent
> a task then she is using that task already. That's
> not because we make it in build v 02/02/2002 rather
> than v1.5 final that it will change anything.
> However it must be in 'final'.

Clearly, we are coming from two different schools
of thought here.  IMHO, the earlier we commit the
patches (the good ones only, of course), the more time
we have it to be tested out.  Patching things just
before a release is too risky, I feel.  Ideal time to be
patching, is, as Pete once mentioned, right after a
release.

> Stephane

Cheers,
Magesh

Re: [SUBMIT] Refactor & combination of mail tasks

Posted by Stephane Bailliez <sb...@apache.org>.
Posted by Magesh Umasankar <um...@apache.org>.
From: "Stefan Bodewig" <bo...@apache.org>

<http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/gump/2002-02-04/jakarta-avalon-clutil.html

> ;-)

Yes, we haven't committed to supporting it yet.
That is what alpha code is all about.

It is unfortunate, I accept, but it is just one
of those things.

> Stefan

Cheers,
Magesh

Re: [SUBMIT] Refactor & combination of mail tasks

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Erik Hatcher <ja...@ehatchersolutions.com>.
So what I'm hearing is that we're waiting until after 1.5 is released to
start adding stuff?! :))

(just kidding)

Posted by Magesh Umasankar <um...@apache.org>.
From: "Stephane Bailliez" <sb...@apache.org>

Posted by Stephane Bailliez <sb...@apache.org>.
Posted by Rob Oxspring <ro...@yahoo.com>.

all get snowed under and the backlog builds up but even if we assume that a
1.5 release isn't going to happen for another month or two, it might be good
to purge the backlog now so that the patches get some user testing by the
ant-dev communiity.

Not a complaint - just a thought,

Rob

Posted by Magesh Umasankar <um...@apache.org>.
From: "Erik Hatcher" <ja...@ehatchersolutions.com>

> Agreed... but most of the folks that have
> submitted the patches are already running
> fine with their own custom built version of
> Ant and aren't in a hurry for it to be rolled
> into a nightly build.

I have seen quite a few e-mails from the
contributors in the not-so-distant-past
which clearly told that they were not
satisifed with our turn around time.  Why
would they even contribute when their systems
were already running with their custom
versions?

Anyway, I am not arguing here - I understand
we can get to the patches only upon our own
timeframes...

> As long as we address the patches prior to a
> release by either applying them or postponing
> them for good reason then we're still doing
> ok, aren't we?

Cause-Effect:
Fixing a release date and then looking at the
available patches to meet that date is not better
than applying existing patches which push for a
new release.

> I agree its nice to keep up with them regularly
> if at all possible. Its just not possible for me
> currently to devote that large of a block of time
> for practically anything - I'm able to do quick
> patches and address e-mail support which is important
> to our collective committer mission too.

Don't get me wrong.  I am not imposing on you
in any way.  Forgive me, if I gave that impression.
I just made a request because you had been involved
with the code; that is all...  And I really really
know the huge amount of time you spend on ant-dev,
ant-user, and jguru, which, frankly, I think you
shouldn't be, lest you burn out :-)

>     Erik

Cheers,
Magesh

Re: [SUBMIT] Refactor & combination of mail tasks

Posted by Erik Hatcher <ja...@ehatchersolutions.com>.
From: "Magesh Umasankar" <um...@apache.org>

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Mon, 4 Feb 2002, Adam Murdoch <ad...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> * What do we do with the <mimemail> task?  Deprecate it?

+1

> * The refactored task is in a new package (taskdefs.email).  Do we
> need to keep the old task classes hanging around?

Probably yes.  There could be people that extend from it.

> * The current <mail> task ignores the message attribute if one or
> more files are specified.  Is this a bug?

If we call it a bug, we can change the behavior without breaking
backwards compatibility ;-)

Honestly, I don't know.

> * Any problems with making the default mime, uuencode, plain in that
> order?

+1 for doing it that way (we could throw in an option for preferred
encoding).

Stefan

Re: [SUBMIT] Refactor & combination of mail tasks

Posted by Erik Hatcher <ja...@ehatchersolutions.com>.
Posted by Magesh Umasankar <um...@apache.org>.
From: "Adam Murdoch" <ad...@yahoo.com>

> Some backward-compatibility questions:
>
> * What do we do with the <mimemail> task?  Deprecate it?

+1

> * The refactored task is in a new package
> (taskdefs.email).  Do we need to keep the old
> task classes hanging around?

Yes.  Maybe change them to invoke the new class's
code, if possible?

> * The current <mail> task ignores the message
> attribute if one or more files are specified.
> Is this a bug?  The refactored task always
> includes the message if one is present.  Any
> problems with going with the new behaviour?

No problems with using the new behavior.  Instead
of terming the existing one a bug, I would term
the new one a feature ;-)

> * By default, the refactored task will use mime
> or uuencode encoding, in favour of plain encoding.
> To be strictly backwards-compatible it should
> default to plain, regardless of what encoders are
> present.  Seems a bit pedantic, really.  Any
> problems with making the default mime, uuencode,
> plain in that order?

+1

> Adam

Cheers,
Magesh

RE: [SUBMIT] Refactor & combination of mail tasks

Posted by Adam Murdoch <ad...@yahoo.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Magesh Umasankar <um...@apache.org>.
From: "Adam Murdoch" <ad...@yahoo.com>

> Hi,
>
> I can look at applying this if you like.

Please...  Thanks, and I appreciate you
volunteering.

> Adam

Cheers,
Magesh

Re: [SUBMIT] Refactor & combination of mail tasks

Posted by Erik Hatcher <ja...@ehatchersolutions.com>.
Have at it!  :)

Thanks Adam - great to have you on board.

    Erik

Posted by Adam Murdoch <ad...@yahoo.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Magesh Umasankar <um...@apache.org>.
From: "Erik Hatcher" <ja...@ehatchersolutions.com>

> Is it in Bugzilla?

No, it is there as a patch request on my disk ;-)

> I don't have the bandwidth right now to do
> this particular refactoring justice (it would
> take several hours of my time at least).

Sigh.  ok, I understand.  I will wait to hear
from Steve.  Depending upon that, I may or may
not dive in to patch this myself.

> Is there an urgent need for it?

I don't want ant-dev to lose any more developers
who make the extra effort to contribute something
back.  0:-)

IMHO, if we apply the good patches, that come
our way, regularly, it will keep the contributors
motivated.

> If not, lets just put it in Bugzilla as an
> enhancement request.

>     Erik

Cheers,
Magesh

Re: [SUBMIT] Refactor & combination of mail tasks

Posted by Erik Hatcher <ja...@ehatchersolutions.com>.
Is it in Bugzilla?  I don't have the bandwidth right now to do this
particular refactoring justice (it would take several hours of my time at
least).  Is there an urgent need for it?  If not, lets just put it in

Posted by Magesh Umasankar <um...@apache.org>.
From: "Rob Oxspring" <ro...@yahoo.com>

> Sorry - I took my eye off the "backwards
> compatability" ball on this one, I think
> the change to EmailTask below should fix it.
>
> Was busy thinking about what it should do
> in the face of an absent message rather than
> what the previous version did.
>
> 444  // a valid message is required
> 445  if( message == null )
> 446  {
> 447      throw new BuildException( "A message is required" );
> 448  }
>
> Changing line 447 to the following should fix it, but I'm heading to bed
> also so I haven't tried it.
> 447      message = new Message();

I have committed this change.  Thanks.

> Cheers
>
> Rob

Cheers,
Magesh

RE: [SUBMIT] Refactor & combination of mail tasks

Posted by Rob Oxspring <ro...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Adam Murdoch <ad...@yahoo.com>.
Hi,