Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by tcomprak <tc...@gmail.com> on 2018/02/14 18:49:36 UTC

Artemis and Python

I am contemplating using Artemis as a message broker. My use case is the
following:

- Messages are not published at a very high scale. Probably a few thousand
messages every minute or so
- Need persistent messages with guaranteed delivery
- Need a HA solution (There is no shared storage, so will have to be
replication) so that client can failover and continue publishing/subscribing
messages
- Should do not depend on any external services (like zookeeper) - the
deployment must be extremely simple
- Clustering is not a must, but if it's required for replication, it's setup
must be very simple

Based on the above and after reading the Artemis user manual, it seems like
Artemis would be a good fit. I however have a few questions

- Does Artemis support Python client APIs ? The user manual does not say it
explicitly, but I want to be really sure
- I understand that no external services are needed - Can someone please
confirm?
- If I need HA with replication policy, is clustering a must ?
- Is setting up a cluster straightforward with Artemis?
- Does Artemis work well or windows platforms ? Any known weirdness/quirks?

Re: Artemis and Python

Posted by Justin Bertram <jb...@apache.org>.
> Does Artemis support Python client APIs ? The user manual does not say it
explicitly, but I want to be really sure

Artemis supports the AMQP, MQTT, and STOMP protocols all of which have
client implementations in Python.

> I understand that no external services are needed - Can someone please
confirm?

I confirm.

> If I need HA with replication policy, is clustering a must ?

HA requires a clustered configuration.  However, all that means is that the
configuration needs a cluster-connection and if discovery is required then
a broadcast-group and a discovery-group.

> Is setting up a cluster straightforward with Artemis?

I think it's straight-forward, but then again I've been working with the
code-base for years so I might not be the best judge.  There are lots of
clustered and HA examples shipped with the broker.

> Does Artemis work well or windows platforms ? Any known weirdness/quirks?

Yes, it works well on Windows.  I'm not aware of any weirdness/quirk other
than Windows itself.

Justin