Posted to dev@mina.apache.org by Samuel Doyle <sd...@yahoo.com> on 2006/04/26 02:50:11 UTC

Chaining

Sorry about the additional post but I missed this
question in my previous.

Is there some decent documentation somewhere that
someone could point me to that better describes how
chaining works in MINA and that association with
various filters?

It worries me a bit when I see some example code that
says do this and that without having an explanation of
what is actually going on. The project I'm working on
involves a substantially large number of transactions
and with the current state of the MINA documentation
and the code churn, I'm missing the warm and fuzzy
feeling when thinking about deployment. Don't get me
wrong, I like what I'm seeing and see the potential
from working with it. I guess I would just like to see
the official 1.0 release happen soon. :)

Thanks, S.D.

Re: Chaining

Posted by Trustin Lee <tr...@gmail.com>.
On 4/26/06, Samuel Doyle <sd...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Sorry about the additional post but I missed this
> question in my previous.
>
> Is there some decent documentation somewhere that
> someone could point me to that better describes how
> chaining works in MINA and that association with
> various filters?

There's a PPT slide which shows some neat animation which helps your
understandings on the internals of MINA.  If you watched it already...

Filter chain is basically the same with decorator pattern essentially.  It
is a chain of invocation to the next filters.  If you call the next filter's
event handler, it is forwarded to the next filter as a direct method
invocation.  There's little performance penalty there AFAIK because it's
just a traversal of a linked list and a direct method invocation.  There
are  hidden internal filters called 'head' and 'tail'.  They are used to
forward the last invocations to IoHandler or SocketIoProcessor.  Please take
a look at AbstractIoFilterChain class to understand its internal.

It worries me a bit when I see some example code that
> says do this and that without having an explanation of
> what is actually going on. The project I'm working on
> involves a substantially large number of transactions
> and with the current state of the MINA documentation
> and the code churn, I'm missing the warm and fuzzy
> feeling when thinking about deployment. Don't get me
> wrong, I like what I'm seeing and see the potential
> from working with it. I guess I would just like to see
> the official 1.0 release happen soon. :)

We also want to release 1.0 soon once some more essential features are
ready.  Any contribution will be appreciated as usual. :D

HTH,
Trustin
http://gleamynode.net/
--
PGP key fingerprints:
* B693 628E 6047 4F8F CFA4  455E 1C62 A7DC 0255 ECA6