Posted to slide-user@jakarta.apache.org by "Arne v.Irmer" <Ar...@uni-dortmund.de> on 2007/08/07 10:27:10 UTC

Slide (2.1) - tuning. Make it faster and more stable.

Hi Thorsten,
we use Tomcat 5.5.23 and java version 1.5.0_10 and slide 2.1 with a
Tx-filestore using openSuSE 10.2 . Now everything works fine (~2000 User
a day / ~10 Gb Transfer / ~20000 hits). But in the beginning we had the
same problems.

I try to give some hints to increase the stability of slide:
1. You have to patch the slide-kernel. There is a bug with concurrent
access. In the file
jakarta-slide-server-src-2.1/src/share/org/apache/slide/store/ExtendedStore.java
at line 149 an ordenary HashMap is used. You have to change line 149 to:
    private Map suspendedLocks = Collections.synchronizedMap(new HashMap());
To build the project use a build.properties
# ----- Compile Control Flags -----
compile.debug=on
compile.deprecation=off
compile.optimize=on
compile.target=1.4
build.compiler=modern
After that just change the slide-kernel-2.1.jar in the distro of slide
that you are currently using. (Look at
http://jakarta.apache.org/slide/installation.html)
2. Next turn off the "sequential-mode" in the Domain.xml. This causes
slide to wait with the next transaction until the current is done. We
had some dead lock with that. To turn it of open your Domain.xml search
for <parameter name="sequential-mode"> and replace it with
           <parameter name="sequential-mode">off</parameter>
3. If you use clustering always and ever use the udp protocol (its
default). Look (linux) with from time to time with lsof -p PID how many
files the slide-tomcat has open.
4. Use Jconsole to monitor memory and thread management of the tomcat.
To do so start tomcat with the option -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote (no
needed for java 1.6).  After that start jconsole (an X-Server is
required) and connect to your tomcat. In the case of a problem you are
now able to only restart slide in a running tomcat: Go to the MBean-tab
and navigate to Catalina->WebModule->//tomcat/->none->none then use tab
Operations and press the Button reload.
For more information of the jconsole look at
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/guide/management/jconsole.html
5. To make umlauts work use UTF-8 everywhere and use a tomcat 5.5 and
slide 2.1.
6. Use apache2 with mod_jk and the ajp protocol. You than are able to
use slide within a load-balance -worker. It is easy to configure. But
look 3. ! And configure the clustercacherefresher properly. If you make
a mistake your store will be lost.

Thorsten, I hope this will help. More things may be done, but I don't
remember.

Is anyone out there who has a problem with my hints or has other good
slide-tunings. Make a post. I'm curious.

Yours
 Arne

--
Dipl.-Phys. Arne v.Irmer
Medienzentrum Universität Dortmund

Re: AW: Slide (2.1) - tuning. Make it faster and more stable.

Posted by "Arne v.Irmer" <Ar...@uni-dortmund.de>.
Hi Thorsten,

<Connector URIEncoding="UTF-8" acceptCount="100" address="tomcat1"
connectionTimeout="20000" debug="0" disableUploadTimeout="true"
enableLookups="false" maxHttpHeaderSize="8192" maxSpareThreads="75"
maxThreads="150" minSpareThreads="25" port="8080" redirectPort="8443"/>
and
<Connector URIEncoding="UTF-8" port="8009" address="tomcat1"
enableLookups="false" redirectPort="8443" protocol="AJP/1.3" />
the http-connector is only for testing. We only use the AJP-connector.

Yours
 Arne