Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Lucas Blancher <lb...@bizxcel.com> on 2007/12/27 21:06:39 UTC

NTLM, mod_JK and Internet Explorer

Hello,
	I have a setup that is using Apache 2.2.x, mod_jk 1.2.26, jboss 4.2
(tomcat 5.5) and alfresco.  This setup works file when browsing with
Firefox, but when someone tries to log in using Internet Explorer they get a
message saying "This page can not be displayed" after entering their
username and password.  When I use the native http handler in tomcat,
Internet Explorer works correctly and the pages are displayed after the NTLM
username and password prompt.  The difference I see when checking the logs
is that when IE and mod_jk are used a 401 http code gets retuned.  A 401
http return code does not show in the logs when Firefox is used.  Has anyone
has this problem before? Any Idea's?  If you need more information please
let me know.

Thanks,
Lucas Blancher

RE: NTLM, mod_JK and Internet Explorer

Posted by Lucas Blancher <lb...@bizxcel.com>.
I found my problem, it was the KeepAlive setting, it was set to 'Off' I
Changed it to 'On' and it started working over http.  I then switched to ssl
and had the same problem, after looking in the ssl.conf file I found a line
'SetEnvIf User-Agent ".*MSIE.*" nokeepalive ssl-unclean-shutdown
downgrade-1.0 force-response-1.0'.  I commented it out, and it started to
work correctly.

Thank you very much!

Lucas

I think I remember, that NTLM needs HTTP Keepalive. Now this is default per
httpd, but one can disable it, so make sure KeepAlive is active in your
httpd configuration.

Regards,

Rainer

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.
good call
do you have any RewriteRules in your httpd.conf?

Posted by Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de>.
Hi Lucas,

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.
at last count there are (at least) 7 possible reasons for a 401 since the authentication is tied to NTLM would suggest its a problem with the acls
in addition to the suggested tools:get firebug in firefox to see the gets/posts as well as stepping thru any JShttp://www.joehewitt.com/blog/firebug_for_iph.phpI would also look at getting fiddler for traffic analysis (there are many others out there)
http://www.fiddlertool.com/fiddler/

of course posting the code would tell you in less than 1 minute what authentication the servlet is implementing..and why the user your client is using is failing under all versions of IE and not under firefox...

Martin ______________________________________________Disclaimer and confidentiality noteEverything in this e-mail and any attachments relates to the official business of Sender. This transmission is of a confidential nature and Sender does not endorse distribution to any party other than intended recipient. Sender does not necessarily endorse content contained within this transmission.> Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2007 23:14:12 +0000> Wrom: FAOBUZXUWLSZLKBRNVWWCUFPEGAUTFJMVRESKPNKMBIPBARHDMNNSKVFVWRKJVZCMHVIBGDADRZFSQHYUCDDJBLVLMHAALPTCXLYRWTQTIPWIGYOKSTTZRCLBDXRQBGJSNBOHMKHJYFMYXOEAIJJPHSCRTNHGSWZIDREXCAXZOWCONEUQZAAFXISHJEXXIMQZUIVOTQNQEMSFDULHPQQWOYIYZUNNYCGPKYLEJGDGVCJVTLBXFGGMEPYOQKEDOTWFAOBUZXUWLSZLKBRNVWWCUFPEGAUTFJMVRESKPNKMBIPBARHDMNNSKVFVWRKJVZCMHVIBGDADRZFSQHYUCDDJBLVLMHAALPTCXLYRWTQTIPWIGYOKSTTZRCLBDXRQBGJSNBOHMKHJYFMYXOEAIJJPHSCRTNHGSWZIDREXCAXZOWCONEUQZAAFXISHJEXXIMQZUIVOTQNQEMSFDULHPQQWOYIYZUNNYCGPKYLEJGDGVCJVTLBXFGGMEPYOQKEDOTWFAOBUZXUWLSZLKBRNVWWCUFPEGAUTFJMVRESKPNKMBIPBARHDMNNSKVFVWRKJVZCMHVIBGDADRZFSQHYUCDDJBLVLMHAALPTCXLYRWTQTIPWIGYOKSTTZRCLBDXRQBGJSNBOHMKHJYFMYXOEAIJJPHSCRTNHGSWZIDREXCAXZOWCONEUQZAAFXISHJEXXIMQZUIVOTQNQEMSFDULHPQQWOYIYZUNNYCGPKYLEJGDGVCJVTLBXFGGMEPYOQKEDOTWFAOBUZXUWLSZLKBRNVWWCUFPEGAUTFJMVRESKPNKMBIPBARHDMNNSKVFVWRKJVZCMHVIBGDADRZFSQHYUCDD>> significant. Post the results here if you need help.> > Mark> > > ---------------------------------------------------------------------> To start a new topic, e-mail: users@tomcat.apache.org> To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@tomcat.apache.org> For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@tomcat.apache.org>

Re: NTLM, mod_JK and Internet Explorer

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
Lucas Blancher wrote:
> How do I find the sub code in Apache httpd?  I am using the common logging
> format and it already has %s in the logging string, but my logs only have
> 401 in them, without any subcodes. An example is

Personally, I'd ignore the sub code question and look what is going back
and forth between the client and httpd. I'd use ieHttpHeaders in IE and
Live Http Headers in Firefox and do a compare and contrast between the
working configuration and the broken one.

I'd expect to see a number of differences some of which will be irrelevant
but at least one will be key. The trick is to figure out which is

Posted by Lucas Blancher <lb...@bizxcel.com>.
How do I find the sub code in Apache httpd?  I am using the common logging
format and it already has %s in the logging string, but my logs only have
401 in them, without any subcodes. An example is

10.11.12.13 - - [27/Dec/2007:14:18:07 -0500] "GET
/alfresco/faces/jsp/dashboards/container.jsp HTTP/1.1" 401 - "-"
"Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 5.1; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET
CLR 1.1.4322)"

Thanks,
Lucas

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.