Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> on 2018/08/12 12:45:07 UTC

[parent] japicmp problems

Hi

while building the site for Compress the japicmp report was empty,
taking a closer look there is a little warning that says "skipping
report because skip is set to true" which in fact it is.

http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/commons/proper/commons-parent/trunk/pom.xml?r1=1832506&r2=1833335
added this (in a seemingly unrelated commit) and thus effectively
disabled japicmp. I *think* we need to add <skip>false</skip> to the
japicmp profile or better introduce a property like we have for most of
the other reports. As I don't understand why skip was added in the first
place I won't change the parent POM, though. Will fix Compress' POM
locally.

In related news trying to use japicmp 0.12.0 leads to a failed build with

    at japicmp.maven.JApiCmpMojo.isPomModuleNeedingSkip (JApiCmpMojo.java:1243)
    at japicmp.maven.JApiCmpMojo.executeWithParameters (JApiCmpMojo.java:130)

in Compress. I'll explicitly revert to 0.11.1 as this seems to work
locally.

Stefan

Re: [parent] japicmp problems

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
+1 using japicmp is maddening due to bugs. It feels unsupported... fork it
and fix it within Commons?

Gary

Re: [parent] japicmp problems

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On 2018-08-12, Gary Gregory wrote:

> Whatever you do, please document in the parent what does what and how a
> component should enable and disable the report.

http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/commons/proper/commons-parent/trunk/pom.xml?r1=1837064&r2=1837920

Actually, you don't have to do anything. It now just works like
documented again (i.e. you add a file to your repository, the profile is
enabled and japicmp is executed).

Stefan

Re: [parent] japicmp problems

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
Whatever you do, please document in the parent what does what and how a
component should enable and disable the report.
Thanks!
Gary

Re: [parent] japicmp problems

Posted by Remko Popma <re...@gmail.com>.
Has anyone communicated these issues (whatever they are) back to the japicmp author(s)? Or are they unaware?

Forking the project in Commons means you’ve given up on the maintainers. It also likely means a significant time investment. Why not spend a fraction of that time to submit a bug fix to japicmp?

Remko

(Shameless plug) Every java main() method deserves http://picocli.info

Re: [parent] japicmp problems

Posted by Rob Tompkins <ch...@gmail.com>.