Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Thomas Lehmann <t....@rtsgroup.net> on 2009/08/13 09:53:26 UTC

The Directory Name Is Invalid

Env: Windows XP (SP3) - TortoiseSVN 1.6.3 (or subversion 1.6.2 command
line)

It happens to checkouts being on the server mounted by NFS to windows
that a diff or a commit does not work with following message:

svn: Kann Datei »Filename.ext\.svn\entries« nicht öffnen: The
directory name is invalid.
(The releating entry is a file - not a folder)

I'm not quite sure whether this bug will be still checked.
I have all rights to change, delete and to create files on every file
and folder of this mount.
The mount is done by NFS clients for windows (Windows Services for
UNIX)

Neither the command line nor the tortoisesvn can handle this.

Could someone please help?

RE: The Directory Name Is Invalid

Posted by Wolfgang Stengel <wo...@efactory.de>.
Working with a working copy mounted via NFS I experience the same problem with diffs. When trying to access the .svn/entries file Subversion seems to not correctly deduce the folder containing the file in question (please see screenshot, I double clicked on the file to see the changes).

I first thought this is a problem with Tortoise but the code in the commit dialog CCommitDlg and the list control CSVNStatusListCtrl is pretty much generic. When it comes down to files and paths Tortoise uses functions like svn_wc_get_pristine_copy_path and svn_path_internal_style from the Subversion library. Is it possible that one of these functions creates a problem when dealing with NFS paths on Windows? As far as I've seen, there is no special file system dependent method for deducing the folder name of a path, it's just a plain search for a slash beginning at the end of a string. It could be a backslash problem, bit there are functions for dealing with that, and samba mounted from the same linux server works fine too (but samba is a pain in the ass in just about every other way).

Also, why does .svn/entries need checking prior to creating a diff?

With Regards,
Wolfgang

RE: The Directory Name Is Invalid

Posted by Ul...@elektrobit.com.
Thomas Lehmann wrote:
>>> Perhaps someone else can give you more information, but for my part,
>>> I can only tell you then that the problem is with your NFS server
>>> and not with Subversion. Make sure your NFS server fully supports
>>> locking, and that such locking functions are turned on.
>
> a) It's also happening on unix machines using the share!
> b) using type (windows) or cat (unix) the tools are doing what
>     expected! Why does subversion not recognize this?
>
> Because of b) I think it's definitely a bug by subversion!

No. Just because subversion is using more filesystem features than type or cat doesn't mean it has a bug. Other posts earlier already told you the server must support locking (type/cat definitely don't use that!).

The mount command you pasted in an earlier post looks not like an NFS mount, but rather a SMB mount - maybe someone else here can say something if there are issues with Samba shares?

Can you tell us the exact command you used for diff/commit? For some reason, it seems to be confused about the file being a directory...

Cheers,

Ulli

--
Ullrich Jans, Application Support, IM
Phone: +49 9131 7701-6627, mailto:ullrich.jans@elektrobit.com

Elektrobit Automotive GmbH, Am Wolfsmantel 46, 91058 Erlangen, Germany
Managing Directors: Otto Fößel, Jarkko Sairanen
Register Court Fürth HRB 4886

Please note: This e-mail may contain confidential information
intended solely for the addressee. If you have received this
e-mail in error, please do not disclose it to anyone, notify
the sender promptly, and delete the message from your system.
Thank you.

Re: The Directory Name Is Invalid

Posted by Thomas Lehmann <t....@rtsgroup.net>.

Posted by Thomas Lehmann <t....@rtsgroup.net>.
> My apologies for missing that detail before.

Don't worry!

> Perhaps someone else can give you more information, but for my part,
> I can only tell you then that the problem is with your NFS server and
> not with Subversion. Make sure your NFS server fully supports
> locking, and that such locking functions are turned on.

Well, is there any minimum requirement I could tell the administrator?
Any special details or example for such a concrete share?

Re: The Directory Name Is Invalid

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.

Posted by Thomas Lehmann <t....@rtsgroup.net>.

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.

Posted by Thomas Lehmann <t....@rtsgroup.net>.
Ryan Schmidt schrieb:
> On Aug 14, 2009, at 01:18, Thomas Lehmann wrote:
>
> > No! (two times)
> > a) We have no two files in the same folder just differing in name
> > case!
> > b) The XML file is only one example. Also none XML files have the same
> > problem!
>
> Oh, other files also experience the problem? Can you discover any
> commonality to those files -- any part of their filenames the same,
> or are they all in the same directory, or were they all added with
> the same commit or by the same user? Does this problem occur on
> anybody's client or only on one client computer?

a) Several colleaguges (and computers) with different checkouts and
different
    repositories have the same problem.
b) We need not change anything. We make a new checkout on a NFS Mount
    and then just making a diff with a previous version of one file.
The filenames differ
    but they are not special:

    name.exta          or
    Another.extb       or
    some_file.extc

c) The server is a linux machine (cat /proc/version)
   Linux version 2.6.27.7-9-default (geeko@buildhost) (gcc version
4.3.2 [gcc-4_3-branch revision 141291] (SUSE Linux) ) #1 SMP
2008-12-04 18:10:04 +0100

 d) NFS mount is done on windows with
  mount -o fileaccess=770 -u:<name> -p:<password> \\server\path Drive:

Re: The Directory Name Is Invalid

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.

Posted by Thomas Lehmann <t....@rtsgroup.net>.

Posted by David Weintraub <qa...@gmail.com>.

On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 5:53 AM, Thomas Lehmann <t....@rtsgroup.net>wrote:

> Env: Windows XP (SP3) - TortoiseSVN 1.6.3 (or subversion 1.6.2 command
> line)
>
> It happens to checkouts being on the server mounted by NFS to windows
> that a diff or a commit does not work with following message:
>
> svn: Kann Datei »Filename.ext\.svn\entries« nicht öffnen: The
> directory name is invalid.
> (The releating entry is a file - not a folder)
>
> I'm not quite sure whether this bug will be still checked.
> I have all rights to change, delete and to create files on every file
> and folder of this mount.
> The mount is done by NFS clients for windows (Windows Services for
> UNIX)
>
> Neither the command line nor the tortoisesvn can handle this.
>

> Could someone please help?

David Weintraub
qazwart@gmail.com

Re: The Directory Name Is Invalid

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Aug 13, 2009, at 07:51, Thomas Lehmann wrote:

>> Windows has quite a few reserved names for files/directories. Is that
>> happening here? The list is:
>>
>> "Do not use the following reserved device names for the name of a
>> file:
>>
>> CON, PRN, AUX, NUL, COM1, COM2, COM3, COM4, COM5, COM6, COM7, COM8,
>> COM9, LPT1, LPT2, LPT3, LPT4, LPT5, LPT6, LPT7, LPT8, and LPT9
>>
>> Also avoid these names followed immediately by an extension; for
>> example, NUL.txt is not recommended."
>>

> No! None of those problems - for sure!
> I have a file X:\users\tle\temp\Html\Freeware.xml
> X: is the mount with NFS and "Html" is the checkout!
> Looking at the Html/.svn/entries file Freeware is marked as "file".
>
> It is simply that svn diff (as one example) handles "Freeware.xml"
> like a folder!

I agree that's pretty strange!

> By the way: I can copy the Html locally on my disk
> and everything is working fine!
>
> Also to note: we do checkouts by http:// ....

Do you have some Apache rules relating to xml files? Perhaps they are
interfering here.

Re: The Directory Name Is Invalid

Posted by Thomas Lehmann <t....@rtsgroup.net>.
> Windows has quite a few reserved names for files/directories. Is that
> happening here? The list is:
>
> "Do not use the following reserved device names for the name of a file:
>
> CON, PRN, AUX, NUL, COM1, COM2, COM3, COM4, COM5, COM6, COM7, COM8,
> COM9, LPT1, LPT2, LPT3, LPT4, LPT5, LPT6, LPT7, LPT8, and LPT9
>
> Also avoid these names followed immediately by an extension; for
> example, NUL.txt is not recommended."

No! None of those problems - for sure!
I have a file X:\users\tle\temp\Html\Freeware.xml
X: is the mount with NFS and "Html" is the checkout!
Looking at the Html/.svn/entries file Freeware is marked as "file".

It is simply that svn diff (as one example) handles "Freeware.xml"
like a folder! By the way: I can copy the Html locally on my disk

Posted by Andy Levy <an...@gmail.com>.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa365247%28VS.85%29.aspx