Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Jacopo Cappellato <ti...@sastau.it> on 2006/10/07 18:48:11 UTC

Removing author information from source files

Hi all,

what about removing the author information from source files (like I did
in rev. 453960)?

Keeping this information in the source files is discouraged by the ASF
(clearer information about the contributors of a file can be derived
from the commit logs) and we have already mostly abandoned this practice
for new files... what about cleaning the old ones?

Jacopo

Re: Removing author information from source files

Posted by Yoav Shapira <yo...@cargurus.com>.
Hi,
Most projects at the ASF decided a year or two ago to discard @author
tags, either to just stop using them, or even to go into the files and
remove the existing ones.  You've covered some of the reasons why this
is a decent idea, and there's another good reason which is legal
coverage.  I don't have time to go into details, but anyways @author
tags are not essential to remove: OFBiz can keep them in, take them
out, whatever you want: it's up to the project, there's no ASF
mandate.

Yoav

Posted by David E Jones <jo...@undersunconsulting.com>.

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.
The ideas was so someone could contact who did that code and ask questions.
I believe this is now in the SVN history so that is unnecessary in code.

Jacopo Cappellato sent the following on 10/7/2006 9:48 AM:

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Woow, I did not have even the time to look at it.
I did some gardening, bad for my back but good for my head, don't know for ASF (Do we like gardening ? ;o)

I may help on the copyright date problem.

Thanks Jacopo !

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ti...@sastau.it>.
Jacques, all,

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ti...@sastau.it>.