Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Ines Robbers <ml...@comprehend.de> on 2003/02/17 17:55:58 UTC

HSQLDB

Hi again,

I've got yet another question to do with HSQLDB which I have never used.
Reading "Cocoon: Building XML Applications" I've come across an HSQLDB
example (p. 176) which works fine but I wonder why.

I'm calling

<sql:use-connection>personnel</sql:use-connection>

With some queries id, name from department

and get the data

1 Development
2 Management
3 Testers
4 TestDep

I would like to know where this content comes from, actually where I
find the database that ships with Cocoon and how to add new data to it.

I'b grateful for help!

Thank you very much

Ines

Re: HSQLDB

Posted by Jeremy Quinn <je...@media.demon.co.uk>.
On Monday, February 17, 2003, at 04:55 PM, Ines Robbers wrote:

> Hi again,
>
> I've got yet another question to do with HSQLDB which I have never
> used.
> Reading "Cocoon: Building XML Applications" I've come across an HSQLDB
> example (p. 176) which works fine but I wonder why.
>
> I'm calling
>
> <sql:use-connection>personnel</sql:use-connection>
>
> With some queries id, name from department
>
> and get the data
>
> 1 Development
> 2 Management
> 3 Testers
> 4 TestDep
>
> I would like to know where this content comes from, actually where I
> find the database that ships with Cocoon and how to add new data to it.
>
> I'b grateful for help!

HSQLDB is a miniature implementation of an SQL-type relational database.
It come built-in to Cocoon.

Its code is in xml-cocoon2/lib/optional/hsqldb-1.7.1.jar.

It is initialised in cocoon.xconf (search for: "hsqldb-server")
The "personnel" connection is also setup in cocoon.xconf (search for
"datasources").

If you plan working with lots of SQL, you might be better using MySQL
<http://www.mysql.com> or PostgreSQL <http://www.postgres.org>, which
are both free and will have a wider range of 3rd party tools that will
work with them. You will need a JDBC Driver, I use
<http://www.mysql.com/products/connector-j/>.

regards Jeremy