Posted to users@ws.apache.org by Massive Boisson <ma...@gmail.com> on 2005/07/28 01:48:37 UTC

XmlRpcServer exception and intended usage

Hi all,

I've been using org.apache.xmlrpc (still using 1.2) together with servlet in
jetty.

Recently I got the following scary exception and had to restart the server.
java.lang.RuntimeException: System overload
error is in XmlRpcServer.java on line 179.

After looking over the code it seems that number of workers exceeds the
permitted number of threads (100).

I then figured my servlet does the following in constructor:
public XmlRpcServlet () {
this.server = new XmlRpcServer();
}

So if jetty uses one instance of that servlet to handle many requests, the
number of workers (nbrWorkers) will
never be reset, and I could possibly get System overload exception.

That is the only reason I can think of.

I am careful / scared to place new XmlRpcServer() call into doPost method of
Servlet for performance reasons.
But if it is the only solution, I have no choice (I could look into jetty,
but that's for another topic)

Another more direct question is how is XmlRpcServer expected to be used?

I am pretty desperate for ideas/opinions/experiences.... Anything please?!

Thanks,

--MB

Re: XmlRpcServer exception and intended usage

Posted by Massive Boisson <ma...@gmail.com>.
Sorry for previous post for 2 reasons - it was in rich text and made
little sense :)

Another possibility for problem, is that I am loosing workers because
of problems in myHandler (deadlocks).

I have questions about XmlRpcServer:

Should my server handle all requests with one XmlRpcServer instance?
Should it be static variable in Servlet.
Where in Servlet should I initialize XmlRpcServer?