Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Paul Hammant <Pa...@Hammant.org> on 2004/08/14 10:45:50 UTC

AltRMI in the Incubator - help needed.

Geronimo Folks,

[ sounding quite familiar ... ]

Once upon a time, in the very early days of the incubator, a small
project was moved there from the Avalon codebase. It was a bit of an
unusual way for a project to move to the Incubator, and it did not come
with the usual community dynamics expected of projects arriving in
Apache. Essentially it was Vinay Chandran and me.

The project in question was called AltRMI.  It works quite well, support
a number of transports and is not currently tied to Avalon-Framework
(though there are enablers for that).  It is currently coded as a set of
CDI components. It publishes plain interfaces - yada yado - see the
website http://incubator.apache.org/projects/altrmi/

There is some overlap for Geronimo here. Geronimo's EJB side clearly has
publishing aspects. More choice here would be cool.

*What is needed is some new committers*

Given that it would be so cool to run this puppy integrated with
Geronimo (an optional GBean plugin), I think it would be great to
solicit interest here.  Now, we can't just say "you, you and you, you're
in as committers" - Apache does not work that way, at least not for
non-committers.  What we can say is that patches will be recieved
gratefully and in time, and on merit, invitations for committer /may/ be
offered. That's the case for all Apache committerships - they're
informally offered, never sought.  In the mean time, from the Geronimo
developers, those with a hankering to do more than they are doing -
please duck into the projects@incubator list.

TODO ...

1) iron out glitches
2) improve coverage
3) review architecture
3) summon up courage to do release ( 0.999999 level presently )

Any others ?

Avalon people - get interested too :-)

- Paul & Vinay