Posted to derby-user@db.apache.org by Kai Ponte <ka...@perfectreign.com> on 2008/05/29 06:20:01 UTC

Select Alpha Rows

I have a table, which is a list of names and other information about people

I want to select only those names that - say - are between A and C, then
select D through G, and so on.

I can't seem to figure out how to do this.

Do I need to setup a View that sorts all names and select between them?

--
kai
www.filesite.org || www.4thedadz.com || www.perfectreign.com

Re: Select Alpha Rows

Posted by Kai Ponte <ka...@perfectreign.com>.
On Wednesday 28 May 2008 09:27:54 pm Robert J. Carr wrote:
> Just a guess ( assuming [A,C) ):
>
> select * from table where (name >= 'A' and name < 'C') or (name >= 'D'
> and name < 'G')

That's what I originally thought and tried.

Seemed simple enough.  :P

I think I have the greaterthan and equal messed up.

select FIRSTNAME, LASTNAME, TITLE, EMAIL from DBUSER.CONTACTS WHERE LASTNAME
>= 'A' AND LASTNAME <= 'F'

That seemed to work.

<insert homer simpson remark here>

Thanks!!!