Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Sh...@cognizant.com on 2012/05/18 21:11:12 UTC

Splunk + Hadoop

Hi ,

Has anyone used Hadoop and splunk, or any other real-time processing tool over Hadoop?

Regards,
Shreya

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient(s), please reply to the sender and destroy all copies of the original message. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, dissemination, forwarding, printing or copying of this email, and/or any action taken in reliance on the contents of this e-mail is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.

Re: Splunk + Hadoop

Posted by Edward Capriolo <ed...@gmail.com>.
So a while back their was an article:
http://highscalability.com/how-rackspace-now-uses-mapreduce-and-hadoop-query-terabytes-data

I recently did my own take on full text searching your logs with
solandra, though I have prototyped using solr inside datastax
enterprise as well.

http://www.edwardcapriolo.com/roller/edwardcapriolo/entry/more_taco_bell_programming_with

Splunk has a graphical front end with a good deal of sophistication,
but I am quite happy just being able to solr search everything, and
providing my own front ends built in solr.

Re: Splunk + Hadoop

Posted by Nitin Pawar <ni...@gmail.com>.
Hi Shreya,

if you are looking at data locality, then you may or may not use hadoop out
of the box.
It will all depend on how you design the data layout on top of hdfs and how
do you implement search based on the customer queries.

a good idea might be have hop-in queryable database like mysql inbetween
where you can store the results of your data being processed on hadoop and
then use solr search for fast access and search.

Thanks,
Nitin

--
Nitin Pawar

RE: Splunk + Hadoop

Posted by Tom Deutsch <td...@us.ibm.com>.
Shreya - there are two major considerations here. First, can the system
process the required information, make it easily accessible, and do that
with the required accuracy for a user based search paradigm . Second, can
the system do that fast enough to meet the time window of the use case.

It is unclear what type/source of information needs to be processed and
then made available for retrieval, how long a search can take and still be
considered OK, or the total latency (not just retrieval during the search
phase) from information acquisition to being searchable. If you can share
those details the group can help provide more specific/better coaching.

Tom Deutsch
Program Director
Information Management
Big Data Technologies
IBM
3565 Harbor Blvd
Costa Mesa, CA 92626-1420
tdeutsch@us.ibm.com

Twitter: @thomasdeutsch
Data Management Blog: ibmdatamag.com/author/tdeutsch/
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=833160
Quora: http://www.quora.com/Tom-Deutsch
Smarter Computing Blog:
http://www.smartercomputingblog.com/contributorsprofile/?user_id=223