Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by S G <sg...@gmail.com> on 2017/06/06 14:26:44 UTC

Invalid shift value (64) in prefixCoded bytes (is encoded value really an INT?)

Hi,

We are seeing some very bad performance on our performance test that tries
to load a 2 shard, 3 replica system with about 2000 writes/sec and 2000
reads/sec

The exception stack trace seems to point to a specific line of code and a
similar stack trace is reported by users on Elastic-Search forums too.

Could this be a a common bug in Lucene which is affecting both the systems?

One bad part about Solr is that once it happens, the whole system comes to
a grinding halt.
Solr UI is not accessible, even for the nodes not hosting any collections !
It would be really nice to get rid of such an instability in the system.

Thanks
SG

Re: Invalid shift value (64) in prefixCoded bytes (is encoded value really an INT?)

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
I do not recommend data_driven_configs to be used for production for
several reasons. First and foremost, the heuristics used simply
_cannot_ optimize your schema for your use case, it has to make a
"best effort". Not to mention that weird data can produce a bazillion
fields without you knowing about it. It'd fine for getting started
without having to deal with the schema, but nobody I know uses it for
production.

I would strongly recommend you take whatever schema has been produced
so far and use it as a basis for a curated schema, turn off
field-guessing (see add-unknown-fields-to-schema) in solrconfig.xml
and use that as a basis for your testing.

note that "managed schema" is used by data_driven_configs, but you can
still use the managed schema _without_ "field guessing". Or switch to
"Classic" schema.

Best,
Erick

Posted by S G <sg...@gmail.com>.