Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by J Pai <ja...@gmail.com> on 2017/06/14 03:22:05 UTC

IvyDE JIRA issues and changes for proposed release?

There’s been some good progress on reviving the Ivy project (thanks Nicolas and Jan for helping out with the reviews and merging PRs) and we seem to be moving towards a state where the release is a possibility. The other project IvyDE (the Eclipse plugin) however needs a bit more push I think.

I am not a Eclipse user nor do I have any experience with plugin development, so there’s not much I can contribute on that front. However, there has been an external community member whose team(?) seemed to be interested in contributing to that plugin and in fact seem to have built some features on top of the current state of the plugin, in their own fork. They even proposed the contribution on the mailing list[1]. I suggested they raise a PR (to make it easier for review), but haven’t heard back. Given that and things in general, do we have someone who has experience of the code base plus Eclipse plugins who can help review that code? Furthermore, is there anything else the user has to do (like signing some CLA) for that contribution?

I think in general, do we have someone experienced with the plugin who can look at some of the IvyDE open JIRA issues/enhancements and decide which ones to fix in the upcoming release and make sure things work fine with the proposed Ivy release itself?

[1] https://www.mail-archive.com/dev@ant.apache.org/msg45486.html

-Jaikiran

Re: IvyDE JIRA issues and changes for proposed release?

Posted by Nicolas Lalevée <ni...@hibnet.org>.
> Le 14 juin 2017 à 05:22, J Pai <ja...@gmail.com> a écrit :
>
> There’s been some good progress on reviving the Ivy project (thanks Nicolas and Jan for helping out with the reviews and merging PRs) and we seem to be moving towards a state where the release is a possibility. The other project IvyDE (the Eclipse plugin) however needs a bit more push I think.
>
> I am not a Eclipse user nor do I have any experience with plugin development, so there’s not much I can contribute on that front. However, there has been an external community member whose team(?) seemed to be interested in contributing to that plugin and in fact seem to have built some features on top of the current state of the plugin, in their own fork. They even proposed the contribution on the mailing list[1]. I suggested they raise a PR (to make it easier for review), but haven’t heard back. Given that and things in general, do we have someone who has experience of the code base plus Eclipse plugins who can help review that code? Furthermore, is there anything else the user has to do (like signing some CLA) for that contribution?

For a patch, due to its form, sending to the community a request for change, it is implied that it is a donation to the ASF with proper copyrights, so it is OK. I might be an issue if a contribution is only declared to be elsewhere (« look at my branch on github»). Sending a patch via email, jira or a PR is considered OK.
And the CLA is mainly for the people directly contributing.

> I think in general, do we have someone experienced with the plugin who can look at some of the IvyDE open JIRA issues/enhancements and decide which ones to fix in the upcoming release and make sure things work fine with the proposed Ivy release itself?

As for Ivy, I am volunteering to apply patches. For what to release, when, how, I am relying on the community to drive it.

There is one topic that I will probably push though, on both Ivy and IvyDE; and the site: migrating to asciidoc. The migration I have wrote took me some time and is a kind of big hack. So the sooner the migration will be done, the sooner contributing documentation will be easier.

Nicolas

Re: IvyDE JIRA issues and changes for proposed release?

Posted by Gintautas Grigelionis <g....@gmail.com>.
I stepped forward to help with IvyDE (well, my first idea was to make
builds independent of a particular Eclipse distribution available on a
particular mirror), but I realised that Ivy must improve first :-) I am an
Eclipse user -- which explains my interest in IvyDE -- and I would be happy
to keep the ball rolling, but I would appreciate some guidance. Right now,
I'd rather release Ivy 2.5 first.

Gintas