Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Dan Tanner <da...@dantanner.com> on 2002/02/07 16:34:08 UTC

validation form collection loss discussion

Has there been discussion on changing struts so that it doesn't lose
collection and other non-String form information upon a validation
failure in request scope?  I've seen a lot of hacks (good and bad) on
the userlist to get around this problem, but I think this is something
that should be built into the framework.

I'm sure there a lot of users that have felt the same pain I did when I
first came across this issue...what do other people think about this?
Are there any major reasons or barriers not to implement it?  Thanks.

Re: [Off-topic]Transaction Management

Posted by Dan Moore <Da...@xor.com>.
On Feb 8, Keith Bacon wrote:

> Use a database that manages transactions, store all data on it, then only the database is involved
> in transactions. The container is irrelevant. I'm not sure if you can get a 'proper' DB free.

Open source dbs:

Postgresql has transactions, foreign keys, etc:
www.postgresql.org

Mysql is fast, but no transactions (yet):
www.mysql.org

And you may want to check out http://www.skippingdot.net/2002/02/01, which
is the first of a three part comparison of Open Source Databases.

Dan

Re: [Off-topic]Transaction Management

Posted by Keith Bacon <ke...@yahoo.com>.
Use a database that manages transactions, store all data on it, then only the database is involved
in transactions. The container is irrelevant. I'm not sure if you can get a 'proper' DB free.

With J2EE you can store data in sessions, container managed storage & multiple database servers
etc & have the whole lot managed in 1 almighty multi-product transaction. Heaven for techies, hell
for managers!
Keith.

Accessing the ActionForm bean from within JSP page

Posted by Richard Yee <ry...@cruzio.com>.
Hi,
I'm trying to access a field in the actionForm bean from within
bean:message tag. Specifically, I want to use one of the attributes in the
bean as a value for the attr0 attribute in the bean:message tag. So far,
I've been able to use a scriptlet to set a page variable reference to the
ActionForm bean that is stored in session scope like this:
<% NewFormBean nfb = (NewFormBean) session.getAttribute("newFormBean"); %>
My ActionForm class is called NewFormBean and I have the following in my
struts-config.xml file:
     <form-bean      name="newFormBean"
                     type="dynaform.NewFormBean"/>

I'm wondering if there is a better way to access/expose this bean using the
struts tags? I've tried bean:struts and bean:page without much success. Can
someone tell me what the best way to do this is?

Thanks,

Richard