Posted to users@camel.apache.org by json99 <da...@vistit.se> on 2013/03/05 16:52:19 UTC

AWS S3 Request/Reply

Hi,

I'm trying to build a cloud enabled Camel client. To be able to transfer
large files (>65k) I first create a AWS S3 file with a UUID as filename. To
be able to process the messages in order I also create a AWS SQS message
containing the UUID of the file in S3. When I receive a SQS message I would
like to extract the UUID and make another request to S3 to grab the file
content.

As I understand, the Camel AWS-S3 component can only poll and is not enabled
for request/reply?

Is it possible to implement the desired behavior or are there any other
solutions to my goal of sending large files i a queue matter?

Regards,

Daniel By

Re: AWS S3 Request/Reply

Posted by Bilgin Ibryam <bi...@gmail.com>.
You mentioned processing files in order, if that is really important for
your application, just keep in mind this from aws documentation:

"Amazon SQS makes a best effort to preserve order in messages, but due to
the distributed nature of the queue, we cannot guarantee that you will
receive messages in the exact order you sent them."

Bilgin

Re: AWS S3 Request/Reply

Posted by "Preben.Asmussen" <pr...@dr.dk>.
Hi

If you want to process messages in order you can also take a look at  ironmq
<http://www.iron.io/mq>  http://www.iron.io/mq which supports fifo.

Some time ago i created a camel component to support consumer/producer for
iron mq. You can find it here   camel-ironmq
<https://github.com/pax95/camel-ironmq>   and a example of use here
https://github.com/pax95/camel-ironmq-example

Regards
Preben

Re: AWS S3 Request/Reply

Posted by Christian Müller <ch...@gmail.com>.
Hello Daniel,

please find my comments inline.

Best,
Christian

On Tue, Mar 5, 2013 at 4:52 PM, json99 <da...@vistit.se> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to build a cloud enabled Camel client. To be able to transfer
> large files (>65k) I first create a AWS S3 file with a UUID as filename. To
> be able to process the messages in order I also create a AWS SQS message
> containing the UUID of the file in S3. When I receive a SQS message I would
> like to extract the UUID and make another request to S3 to grab the file
> content.
>
> As I understand, the Camel AWS-S3 component can only poll and is not
> enabled
> for request/reply?

Right. But we could improve the AWS-S3 component in a way that you can use
it in a consumer template and provide the UUID as a filter. Feel free to
log a JIRA: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CAMEL
And as you may know, we love contributions:

> Is it possible to implement the desired behavior or are there any other
> solutions to my goal of sending large files i a queue matter?

65kByte is not really large. Is there a specific reason why you use Amazon
S3? Could you also use ActiveMQ for this service?