Posted to users@maven.apache.org by "Davis, Chad" <Ch...@emc.com> on 2012/11/09 23:01:44 UTC

how to proxy a one nexus instance via another local one

This may be a nexus only question, in which case I'll take it to the nexus list.  However, It may also be something better handled from within maven itself.  I'm not sure.

Here's my issue.  We have a release build environment.  It has it's own nexus server that holds our official release artifacts and serves as the legally authorize proxy of the public repos ( maven central, et. al. ).  The main purpose of this environment is corporate release building.  For our continuous integration needs, we have our own local build servers and a local nexus.  This nexus will hold our snapshots, serve as a low latency local repo to speed up our ci builds ( the release environment is geographically distant ).

I'm trying to figure out how to set this all up to achieve the following requirements:

1)      local nexus has same proxy filtering as remote one

2)      local nexus has an extra "dev" repo that we can add additional dependencies to as needed; these might be ones that could be proxied through from maven central, but I would like to keep track of our new dependencies in an isoloated silo so we can easily keep tabs of them when we enter our "legal approval" phase

3)      no changes to the poms themselves so when we migrate from CI build environment to official release build environment we don't have to edit "source"

The solution I'm homebrewing for the moment looks like this

1)      set up local nexus to have a proxy repo that proxies the release nexus's "public" group, if this even works technically

2)      set up a hosted repo on local nexus that dev can add dependencies to at will, this will aggregate our list of new deps that we will have to process through legal before entering release cycle

3)      group these two together and use settings.xml to mirror the remote release nexus ( which is the one officially declared in our poms )

Better ideas?

Re: how to proxy a one nexus instance via another local one

Posted by Vincent Latombe <vi...@gmail.com>.
Hello,
this is rather a Nexus question, but so far your solution looks good to me.

Vincent

Posted by "Davis, Chad" <Ch...@emc.com>.
> > 1)      set up local nexus to have a proxy repo that proxies the release
> > nexus's "public" group, if this even works technically
> >

> I've been told on this list this is a no-no, because you have to pick an artifact
> type when you proxy (release or snapshot; what if the proxied group
> contains both?).  Others on this list have said pshaw, just proxy it twice.  I
> chose to heed the first camp and I always proxy repositories, never groups.

I can see their point.  In my case, however, I don't want the snapshots to come from the proxied repo, so this should be a bonus feature for me.

Re: how to proxy a one nexus instance via another local one

Posted by Laird Nelson <lj...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Nov 9, 2012 at 2:01 PM, Davis, Chad <Ch...@emc.com> wrote:

> 1)      set up local nexus to have a proxy repo that proxies the release
> nexus's "public" group, if this even works technically

I've been told on this list this is a no-no, because you have to pick an
artifact type when you proxy (release or snapshot; what if the proxied
group contains both?).  Others on this list have said pshaw, just proxy it
twice.  I chose to heed the first camp and I always proxy repositories,
never groups.

Hope that helps,
Best,
Laird