Posted to derby-user@db.apache.org by Adam Bovill <ab...@fnfr.com> on 2007/04/25 22:16:09 UTC

Calculating Database Size

Hello,

I was wondering whether there was a good way to calculate the amount of
space that my derby database is currently using.

In the application that I'm working on, I have to keep that last X
megabytes of data (where X is a user definable value).  The overriding
table of information is the items table that has two CLOBs in it:

Items {

ID

.

.

CLOB

CLOB

}

Is there a way to query derby to find out how much space it is using so
that I can delete some items and then "reclaim" the space with:

call SYSCS_UTIL.SYSCS_COMPRESS_TABLE('APP', 'ITEMS', 0);

or

SYSCS_UTIL.SYSCS_INPLACE_COMPRESS_TABLE(
               IN SCHEMANAME VARCHAR(128),
               IN TABLENAME VARCHAR(128),
               IN PURGE_ROWS SMALLINT,
               IN DEFRAGMENT_ROWS SMALLINT,
               IN TRUNCATE_END SMALLINT )

The documentation states: Unlike SYSCS_UTIL.SYSCS_COMPRESS_TABLE(), all
work is done in place in the existing table/index.

Does that mean that the first call creates a new set of files and copies
itself over there and when that is complete, the old files are deleted?

Or is the only way to do this to add a "SUM" column to that table and
then perform the following query:

SELECT SUM(size) FROM Items;

And then delete appropriately?

(Sorry if this is answered somewhere, I searched through the
documentation for everything that I could think of.)

Thanks,

Adam

Re: Calculating Database Size

Posted by John Embretsen <Jo...@Sun.COM>.
Bryan Pendleton wrote:
>> I was wondering whether there was a good way to calculate the amount
>> of space that my derby database is currently using.
>
> There is org.apache.derby.diag.SpaceTable.

I noticed a Java app attached to
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-2549 (DerbyDiskSpaceDiag.java) which
may be helpful too.

--
John

Re: No more IBM support after Sept 2008?

Posted by Dan Scott <de...@gmail.com>.
How about the authoritative source?
http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=636&uid=swg21256502

It probably doesn't make much sense for IBM to continue support of
something (Cloudscape, aka Derby) that is now a base part of the Java
environment (JavaDB, aka Derby). And, as noted, they will still
contribute to the development of Apache Derby.

Dan

--
Dan Scott
Laurentian University

Re: No more IBM support after Sept 2008?

Posted by Raymond Kroeker <ra...@raykroeker.com>.
http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/financialpost/story.html?id=838b3819-7e60-44ad-986a-76569847e2e4&amp;k=25741
http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=636&uid=swg21256502

On 4/28/07, Tony Winslow <to...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Can you provide the source of the info?Any href?
>
> 2007/4/26, derby@segel.com <de...@segel.com>:
> >
> > In another IBM/MySQL announcement, it mentioned that IBM is getting out
> > of
> > the support game for Cloudscape aka Derby.
> >
> > Kind of interesting.....

Raymond Kroeker

Re: No more IBM support after Sept 2008?

Posted by Tony Winslow <to...@gmail.com>.

Posted by de...@segel.com.

Posted by Adam Bovill <ab...@fnfr.com>.
Thanks Bryan.

And thanks for the link to nabble.  It is great for searching this list.

I think that I might just have a size field that I do a sum on, that way
I get a more precise idea of the space used.

Thanks again,

-Adam

> I was wondering whether there was a good way to calculate the amount
of
> space that my derby database is currently using.

There is org.apache.derby.diag.SpaceTable.

This should give you some pointers about how to use it:
http://www.nabble.com/Re%3A-How-do-I-tell-whether-a-table-has-unused-spa
ce-or-not--p3635750.html

thanks,

bryan